Atomic COBALT : WORST DIVE COMPUTER EVER !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron: Just downloaded and installed the new Cobalt 2 (2450) firmware. Everything went per instructions on the download and install (Mac). But: the Bootloader ejects for a couple of seconds and then reappears on the desktop. I tried the reinstall again and the file will not start to copy, indicating the Cobalt is not talking. The Cobalt will not boot or show signs of life. Suggestion?

This last message alerted me to a firmware upgrade. I decided to pull out the Cobalt to perform the upgrade and found the "UP" button no longer works. Time to send the Cobalt2 in for the THIRD time. This was a replacement for a Cobalt 1 after the FOURTH repair. While Atomic always repairs the unit and even replaced the Cobalt 1 with a Cobalt 2...the fact that it has been sent for repair so many times is why I wish I had never purchased this thing.

RonR, you mentioned that there was a substantial redesign of the Cobalt 2 that addressed the button corrosion, leaky cases, etc. What serial number and later would I expect to find these improvements in? I'm considering buying one from a friend (new in box, never used), but if it's in the problem date range, I'll probably pass.

Ron: Just downloaded and installed the new Cobalt 2 (2450) firmware. Everything went per instructions on the download and install (Mac). But: the Bootloader ejects for a couple of seconds and then reappears on the desktop. I tried the reinstall again and the file will not start to copy, indicating the Cobalt is not talking. The Cobalt will not boot or show signs of life. Suggestion?

Have you tried disconnecting the Cobalt from the USB adapter and doing a manual reset- holding Back and Select buttons down for 11 seconds or more? If the reset is attempted while the USB connection is still present it will send the Cobalt into boot mode, and the display won't come up. The fact that the Bootloader is showing on the desktop indicates that the Mac is seeing the Cobalt's processor through the USB connection, it's enumerating and would be running properly, but there could be problems transferring a file if the data line is disrupted- maybe try another cable or port? To the Mac, the Cobalt will look just like any other mass storage device. If an manual reset doesn't work let me know what version of Mac OS you have and what version of the Cobalt firmware you were updating from and we will keep digging.

Ron

This last message alerted me to a firmware upgrade. I decided to pull out the Cobalt to perform the upgrade and found the "UP" button no longer works. Time to send the Cobalt2 in for the THIRD time. This was a replacement for a Cobalt 1 after the FOURTH repair. While Atomic always repairs the unit and even replaced the Cobalt 1 with a Cobalt 2...the fact that it has been sent for repair so many times is why I wish I had never purchased this thing.
I'm sending you a message with a link to instructions on how to check the keypad. If you have one of the older ones that has corrosion, which is likely if a button is no longer working, it's an easy fix. Atomic can just sent you the part, it's not really necessary to send back the Cobalt, though of course that is an option if you prefer.

Ron

Have you tried disconnecting the Cobalt from the USB adapter and doing a manual reset- holding Back and Select buttons down for 11 seconds or more? If the reset is attempted while the USB connection is still present it will send the Cobalt into boot mode, and the display won't come up. The fact that the Bootloader is showing on the desktop indicates that the Mac is seeing the Cobalt's processor through the USB connection, it's enumerating and would be running properly, but there could be problems transferring a file if the data line is disrupted- maybe try another cable or port? To the Mac, the Cobalt will look just like any other mass storage device. If an manual reset doesn't work let me know what version of Mac OS you have and what version of the Cobalt firmware you were updating from and we will keep digging.

Ron

Unit completely unresponsive to Manual Reset or any key action. Was charged to 93% when I started the upgrade. Unresponsive to plugging in to wall charger. Plugged into new USB port - does not respond or mount boot loader. I was at V 2.43 firmware. I am running High Sierra on my Mac.

Unit completely unresponsive to Manual Reset or any key action. Was charged to 93% when I started the upgrade. Unresponsive to plugging in to wall charger. Plugged into new USB port - does not respond or mount boot loader. I was at V 2.43 firmware. I am running High Sierra on my Mac.

Ron:

I took my Cobalt2 to my Windows 10 laptop. I plugged into USB and held the FORWARD-SELECT combo (screen on Cobalt was still black) for about 30 seconds. It mounted. Bootloader was visible. I downloaded the firmware and loaded it. It acted normal. I ejected the boot loader. It acted normal and the Cobalt came to life. Set clock and checked firmware version. It shows the correctly updated version.

Perhaps Mac has fiddled with their USB interface in High Sierra?

Anyhow...things working now. Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm sending you a message with a link to instructions on how to check the keypad. If you have one of the older ones that has corrosion, which is likely if a button is no longer working, it's an easy fix. Atomic can just sent you the part, it's not really necessary to send back the Cobalt, though of course that is an option if you prefer.

Ron

Ron sent instructions. There was no corrosion, so I removed the magnets and reseated in the back of each button. Computer buttons now all work as expected.

Thanks Ron!

Ron:

I took my Cobalt2 to my Windows 10 laptop. I plugged into USB and held the FORWARD-SELECT combo (screen on Cobalt was still black) for about 30 seconds. It mounted. Bootloader was visible. I downloaded the firmware and loaded it. It acted normal. I ejected the boot loader. It acted normal and the Cobalt came to life. Set clock and checked firmware version. It shows the correctly updated version.

Perhaps Mac has fiddled with their USB interface in High Sierra?

Anyhow...things working now. Thanks for your prompt response.

I just updated my Cobalt 2 firmware using macOS High Sierra, 10.13.1 Beta (17B46a). No issues on my end.

Ron sent instructions. There was no corrosion, so I removed the magnets and reseated in the back of each button. Computer buttons now all work as expected.

Thanks Ron!
That's good to hear- probably you have the newer, better sealed magnets- almost certain if your Cobalt is from 2015 or later. One possibility is that the actual magnet was stuck down to the lens with a bit of salt, making the button press non-responsive since it's seen as always pressed. This can happen without it being apparent from the outside, and it will free up as soon as the keypad gets wet. In any case glad to hear it's working.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom