Atomic COBALT : WORST DIVE COMPUTER EVER !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purchased new Cobalt 2 in August 2015 after my Suunto Cobra died after 200+ dives. Injury and work demands kept me out of the water until 2 weeks ago. My LDS checked out my regulator and Cobalt prior to my flight to Turks & Caicos, and confirmed that the Cobalt 2 was charged and "operational." It initially froze on the very first dive at 65 feet (asking me for settings input but not moving beyond that screen), they upon resurfacing I noticed that moisture had built up behind the screen. It then went blank. Luckily I had learned from my first computer failure and had a backup mini SPG and Mares Smart on my wrist. I just now discovered this thread, and wonder if my Cobalt 2 (SN: 2914-0785) was among one of the bad batches. Very disappointed that I now am the proud owner of a $1,200 paperweight. My LDS is seeking a return authorization. Waiting to hear back . . .

I have by 3rd replacement and the battery goes very low without charging in less than 2 weeks. Computer 20 dives. I am very reluctant to take it on a live a board. May have to bite the bullet and buy a new one for the trip. Sweetwater is what I am looking at.

Jn

Purchased new Cobalt 2 in August 2015 after my Suunto Cobra died after 200+ dives. Injury and work demands kept me out of the water until 2 weeks ago. My LDS checked out my regulator and Cobalt prior to my flight to Turks & Caicos, and confirmed that the Cobalt 2 was charged and "operational." It initially froze on the very first dive at 65 feet (asking me for settings input but not moving beyond that screen), they upon resurfacing I noticed that moisture had built up behind the screen. It then went blank. Luckily I had learned from my first computer failure and had a backup mini SPG and Mares Smart on my wrist. I just now discovered this thread, and wonder if my Cobalt 2 (SN: 2914-0785) was among one of the bad batches. Very disappointed that I now am the proud owner of a $1,200 paperweight. My LDS is seeking a return authorization. Waiting to hear back . . .

That's clearly a warranty issue. The serial # indicates this Cobalt was manufactured in mid 2014, before the changes Atomic made to the case design. It's also the period when there was a problem with bad depth sensors from the manufacturer, though after production was restarted. So yes, newer Cobalts have been far better and are proving quite reliable.

Atomic should be good about replacing this, let me know through a message here if you have any questions.

Ron

I have by 3rd replacement and the battery goes very low without charging in less than 2 weeks. Computer 20 dives. I am very reluctant to take it on a live a board. May have to bite the bullet and buy a new one for the trip. Sweetwater is what I am looking at.

Jn
The Cobalt shouldn't drop more than 1-2% in 24 hours if it's in sleep / standby mode, and should easily do a liveaboard week or several months of standby. Either this is a bad battery with high internal discharge (most likely) or there is a problem with excessive current drain. That's assuming the Cobalt is stored dry and without the charging adapter plugged in. This should be easy to get fixed.

Is this a Cobalt 1 or 2? How old is it? If a Cobalt 2 I can guide you to a diagnostic screen that will help to diagnose the issue.

Ron

That's clearly a warranty issue. The serial # indicates this Cobalt was manufactured in mid 2014, before the changes Atomic made to the case design. It's also the period when there was a problem with bad depth sensors from the manufacturer, though after production was restarted. So yes, newer Cobalts have been far better and are proving quite reliable.

Atomic should be good about replacing this, let me know through a message here if you have any questions.

Ron

My serial number is 3215-0208

Version 2.430/4

What do you think?

JN

My serial number is 3215-0208

Version 2.430/4

What do you think?

JN
I'm sending you some details diagnostic info in a message. That will help determine of the PCB needs to be replaced or just the battery. Either way, you should be able to get months of standby power.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom