Atomic M1 jam nut size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the heat sinks make removing/replacing the hose a PIA? The nut in Buddhas' picture looks like it only has two wrench flats-not one of my favorite designs for hardware.
I try hard not to let them get that crusty that they become a PIA.

I am a firm believer in putting on the heat sink/jam nut by hand, and then putting the hose on with a tiny tweak. I've never had a hose come apart, but I've cracked a few cases trying to get the jam nut off (not Atomic).

I remove all of the swivel hoses when I find one.

It’s actually a good heatsink, it’s massive and the deep milled M1 gives it a lot of surface area. I do like Wookie, a good finger tight and a slight nudge on the hose nut.

Just got home, I guess I gave you my last M1 nut, mine has the standard one on it.

It's official, the jam nuts on my M1s are 13/16, go figure.

F17CA7A0-B22D-45D4-AF9E-F988EAA7A90A.jpeg

So I guess Atomic at some stage changed the nut size from/to 11/16//17mm.

What are you doing with Atomics? They are not made out of metal plus I thought you hate piston regulators.

For atomic 2nd, you are very unlikely to over tighten the jam nut/heat sink because the inlet tube has a square profile flush with the plastic housing. That square profile will stop the jam nut from damage the case. One other design that is susceptible to this kind of damage is the HoG classic 2nd stage. If you over tighten, you can crack the case.

As for M1 heatsink, I think the newer one with the M machined in is a lot less effective than the original M1 heatsink. It has a lot more surface area from what I can see.

Back
Top Bottom