Atomic recall and more bad news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My regs stay with me, and only I put them on and take them off and clean them. I don't trust anyone else to do it. I generally like to do all my own cleaning as well as I know I will be more thorough, but leaving a BC, fins, etc with the dive ops to take care of, I am ok with. I will clean them well myself at the end of the trip.

I get the attraction of Concierge service when on a big dive trip. When I was a new diver, this seemed like an attractive option. Until I came back to find the cylinder mounted WAY too low on my (then) BC... smacking me in the butt. They can't know how to set your stuff up to your specs (top of plate at tank break, for me)... So you can't blame them.

Just be polite, tell them you 'got this' and take ownership of your own kit. We've all been on vacations and watched vacation divers struggle with how to set up their rig... regs backwards or upside down, Octo flapping in the breeze breaking off things on the reef, tank way too low so they're diving all swawback, mask leaking because their strap is twisted or their bangs are under the skirt, etc, etc, etc....

Self sufficiency at the dive site it the first display of an experienced diver. Self control in the water is the next.

- K

My life, my kit, my responsibility.

They probably didn’t dunk it without the dust cap. Atomic regs have a seat saver that opens the second stage to save wear and tear on the seat when the reg is unpressurized. Dunking any atomic reg unpressurized will allow water into the first stage back through the second stage hose and causes much angst among Atomic owners who don’t know this.

1) always check your IP often
2) don’t let others rinse your gear.

Who lets dive ops deal with your gear and who never lets it out of their site?

Sometimes you have little/limited choice in the matter as the way the boat conducts their diving can sometimes result in very limited gear access. On my Costa Rica liveaboard (Okeanos II) our gear/tank/BCD was always stationed on the skiff/zodiac "panga" , and filled by crew via a set of Very long fill whips with virtually no opportunity check on dust caps, etc. I typically dive my 'nice' regs in places/situations were I have 100% chain-of-custody, and use my 'lesser' regs in more abusive conditions. For example, Bonaire ironshore diving gets the 'lesser' regs, a nice liveaboard where I handle my gear 100% of the time (so no reg dragging the reef/deck) gets the T2 or T3's.

I don't mind a helper in the Phils carrying my stuff when on a rec dive. I observe them and If it's not to my liking I show them how to Don it. It's fffin scuba gear and not surgery on a Swiss watch. My tech stuff I handle be myself but that was outside of the scope here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom