• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by stuartv, Mar 18, 2019.

1. divad

divad Solo Diver

Now you've done it...

2. divad

divad Solo Diver

H
    Hey, how about a short section of pool-noodle slit longways with the hose inside the center hole? I'm going to try this as soon as I get my Dad home from the doctor. Thanks for the pique!

3. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    See:

LOL :D

divad likes this.
  4. lexvil

lexvil Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Faust caps matter more than seat savers, don’t trust most, Apeks ball is a good one since it seals but allows ringing of most of the sealing surface. I have mostly adopted the thumb over the opening dunk and swish and then dropping the second stage in for a good soak, keeping the first higher.

5. divad

divad Solo Diver

5" long narrow pool noodle worked fine, if you find yourself in a place with no sticks and lots of pool-noodles. Interestingly, when I disconnected the hose from the 1st stage to check for water and blew into the hose (out of curiosity) there was a fair amount of resistance (until I purged it) as if the seat was just barely backed off of the orifice.

couv likes this.
  6. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Barely backed off is all that's required for the seat saver to function. It's also possible that as you blew into the hose you pressurized it enough to start closing the valve.

7. charlier

charlier Marine Scientist

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    In my limited experience, after years of diving in Asia, I have not had a problem rinsing Atomic regs. Nor has my wife. Full disclosure, since I am usually in remote locations in Indonesia, I rarely service our Atomic regs (M1 and B2). Sometimes, I finally get to serving the reg after 200-300 salt water dives and I see little corrosion. I do rinse in fresh water (wearing my kit and wetsuit) after most dives. Between LoB departures, I throughly rinse my regs. As Wookie mentioned, it’s super easy to properly rinse Atomic regs. To me, it’s a non-issue.

8. divad

divad Solo Diver

What is so bad about fresh water in a first stage? I found one of of my Zeagles had become full of water (in a rinse tank) when I put it on a tank and purged it. Three years later when it developed a small creep, I serviced it and found the inside clean and shiny.

9. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    People just blown this out of proportion. In fact, in most case, water is just in the 2nd stage and the LP hose. It isn't easily for water to move that far up. The Seat Saver opening is very tightly. If anyone with atomic 2nd stage and want to experiment, disconnect the LP hose form first stage, and try to breath through the hose. You can barely breath. It is air, water will have harder time get pass that, not to mention travel all the way up to 1 stage.

StefinSB and BurhanMuntasser like this.
  10. purbeast

purbeast Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Looking at this chart here:

Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

It says that for the Z2 a swivel on the first stage is optional. However I haven't seen anything about it when looking at them on websites to purchase.

Anyone know what that means exactly? I don't think it will matter in my decision in my purchase but I was just wondering about it. I'd think it would be a nice to have if it's not a huge extra cost.