Atomic Regs with Swivels on Long/Short Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SBers,

Has anyone ever tried to Atomic Regulators with their swivels on a long/short hose configuration? I thought I once heard that the swivels interfer with the hose routings. I have a B2 1st Yoke & 2nd stage and am looking at getting a second setup in DIN, then combining the two 2nd stages in a Long/Short Hose configuration on either the DIN/Yoke 1st stage depending upon my use.

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

If you mean the 1st stage turret swivel, they work great with my 7' primary, 22" secondary rigs.

For doubles, the 7' hose goes in one of the side LP ports and thus takes advantage of the turret's rotation in case I have to fully deploy it and go single file out of an overhead; the 22" backup goes out the bottom LP port, since the first stages are both angled in, and comes around the right side of my neck.

For singles, I route the 7' hose out the bottom LP port and angle the 1st stage slightly to my right as I wear the tank: the hose goes straight down along the side of the BP and under the can or knife. The draw back is I lose some of the mobility of the turret if I have to deploy fully (hose will be pulling perpendicular to the LP port), but I don't want to angle the 1st stage perpendicualar to the tank because it sticks out more then. The 22" hose goes on a side LP port in that rig, even though it doesn't need the ability to rotate much.

If you meant the 2nd stage swivles, I haven't found a way to put them on 7' and 22" hoses, but I own a few and think they'd be fine. Plenty of people use angles and/or swivles on their long hoses, and some probably do it on the short hoses, too.

Th atomic swivels are a bit of a pita to engineer around.

For long hose the easiest config will be to buy a coupler that lets you daisy chain hoses - buy a 5 footer and that connector and you're set. I plan on trying this out - i have the connector.

For a 22 inch hose you're likely out of luck - unless someone can cut the hose down and crimp a new connector on for you.

For doubles, the 7' hose goes in one of the side LP ports and thus takes advantage of the turret's rotation in case I have to fully deploy it and go single file out of an overhead; the 22" backup goes out the bottom LP port, since the first stages are both angled in, and comes around the right side of my neck.

What he said. ^

I dive B2's and M1's. For singles, I route my 5' and 22" hoses off the turret. I use 70-degree, fixed elbow on each of my second stages, and I've never had a problem. Put the 22" on the closest port, and the 5' on the port behind it.

I have an ST1 first and second stage along with a Ti2 Octo. I think the Atomic first stage with the swivel works great. I am not a fan of the second stage Comfort Swivel hose. I find the rubber hose too thick and a Miflex hose feels as comfortable as a swivel hose to me personally. If you are removing the Comfort Swivel hose there is a jam nut available to put on the second stage before you put on a regular hose. Lately I have been diving this in a "Recreational" configuration. 22 inch hose with ST1 second stage on a bungie necklace and the Ti2 Octo on a yellow 40 inch Miflex that comes up under my arm and has a 90 degree connector to the second stage.

If you really like the comfort swivel, I was told that Atomic Aquatics will make you a custom length Custom Swivel hose in any length you desire. You might also look at an OmniSwivel. I had one, felt it worked better than the comfort swivel, but it is a bit bulky and I found that Miflex hoses have enough flex to allow me to not use any swivel adapters.

Th atomic swivels are a bit of a pita to engineer around.

For long hose the easiest config will be to buy a coupler that lets you daisy chain hoses - buy a 5 footer and that connector and you're set. I plan on trying this out - i have the connector.

Did you try this out yet? How is it?

If you want to use 7ft long hose, ditch that 2nd stage swivel and use rubber hose. Coupler to extend the swivel hose to long hose just sounds like a bad idea to me.

I use Oceanic Delta 4 regs and always take the swivel hoses and fitting off and fit them with a standard hose and fitting. Reason is that if you are away and you don't have a dealer with all the right hoses available and blow a hose you are screwed. I travel to obscure Pacific islands and need to know if something fails I will be able to find a fix for it. Same with things like quick disconnect HP hoses, ok until they blow and then hard to find (had this happen at Truk and was screwed).

I am trying to figure out what the OP is speaking about. If the first stage turret swivel - there is no issue. If they have std length reg hose with the comfort swivel on it and want to make it a 5' or 7' a coupler would work. But as said Atomic will make 5', 7', or custom hoses with the swivel. We have some that we got for reasonable prices and they work okay.

As for comment about hoses going belly up. Custom hoses whether for regs or computers are a bad idea if you do not have way of using a std hose as a replacement. For the AA swivel hose there is no issue using a std. hose. Just add a jam nut. For computers, the Suunto QD is great and can go on any hose. The same can not be said the AA computer their hose is truly custom - if it blows yer screwed without one of their hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom