Atomic v. Apeks v. Mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't saw that article. Since it was the only time I had ever heard of that happening, I didn't put much faith in it anyway. But he said he'd never saw anything negative on Atomic, so I thought I'd point something out. And your correct on the recalls. Apeks had one as well due to metal shavings left inside the 1st stage of some TX100s.

Benwood,

Yeah, it's a tough choice. I think you need to feel comfortable with the dealer you are buying from -- more so with regulators than anything else. That being said, when you have a certain brand in mind and your "preferred" dealer doesn't carry/service it, it's a tough choice.

Good luck!

One other follow-up -- check the April issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving. They review several regs priced >$400. I don't think the Atomic or the Abyss are in there, but I know the Apeks TX 100 was included (I think they only reviewed new regs or those which have had recent updates). I think the TX 100 received the best overall rating of those inluded in the test.

Hope this helps.

-LD

when you think about it. You only get your reg serviced once a year so you'd have to make a long drive only once a year and for atomics once every two years. I dive an atomic B-1 and love it, I simply cannot see myself diving any of the other 10 regs that I own.

As far as bubble interference goes I do not notice any with my B-1, but I asked the dealer rep. why they went with the exhaust tee that they use and he said that it made the reg breath easier. Now I am sure that it does but you would probabley need a breathing machine to notice the difference that the tee makes, however, I still notice no bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom