Atomic Z2 for deco/stage bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody know where Piranna actually gets those first stages from?

The ones Diverite uses is non-balanced and is not recommended for below 50 feet with the appropriate gasses.

You may eventually. 50% is a great deco gas to add on top of oxygen, especially for dives in the 130-150' range.
I think I remember Jon Bernot saying he used Atomics for stage and deco bottles. Does that seem right to you?

Anybody know where Piranna actually gets those first stages from?

The ones Diverite uses is non-balanced and is not recommended for below 50 feet with the appropriate gasses.

WMD, exact same as the ones from Piranha and the same supplier as the rest of Dive Rite's regulators actually.

FWIW being unbalanced does not make a regulator unsuitable for depth. The disclaimer on that is I believe because of flow rate that is a function of keeping them small

@KevinNM he does, but as he is a dealer it isn't quite clear cut

I'll sell anyone on this thread a Z2 yoke 1st stage for $75 and you guys can go try it out yourselves. :D

he does, but as he is a dealer it isn't quite clear cut
If you do 26,000 ft cave penetrations with them I'll guess you consider them highly trustworthy and reliable. But I'll admit that cost effective become a less important consideration when your dive requires $30,000 worth of DPVs for each diver.

I think I remember Jon Bernot saying he used Atomics for stage and deco bottles. Does that seem right to you?

Probably. He loves his atomics and I made the mistake of borrowing a set (I say mistake because I had to go out and buy a set after).

If you do 26,000 ft cave penetrations with them I'll guess you consider them highly trustworthy and reliable. But I'll admit that cost effective become a less important consideration when your dive requires $30,000 worth of DPVs for each diver.

correct, but note he was doing those dives on his Dive Rites before. Edd is doing dives almost that long on Deep6 regs, but has also done them on Dive Rite and HOG. Point there was that just because he uses them, as a dealer there may be different math associated with why they're getting used.
It's the same with just about every well known name in diving. I.e. Jill Heinerth diving Hollis stuff, that doesn't mean it is the best, just means that when she does her math on what to dive, they come out on top. For her, that usually means given for free.

Also no different for just about any sport where gear manufacturers are involved, it's all about sponsorship and deals that can be had that will sway you from one gear mfg to another when the products are all very similar.
KUR is doing dives just as if not more extreme and they do it on Apeks regs and SS dpvs, vs Atomic and Suex for Bernot, doesn't make any one better than the other, just better for them considering their math is different.

that is not a downplay on bernot or atomic at all, just that you have to add a grain of salt when you look at what people are diving and why because it is not clear cut

I also don't see any reason to go higher then 40% other then the O2 bottle

I do. 50% is a standard gas and for certain dives is VERY handy. There are a lot of dives here in cave country I would absolutely not do without a 50% bottle, particularly with enough gas in it that if I lost that 100% bottle for some reason I'd at least have my 50% to finish my decompression on.

correct, but note he was doing those dives on his Dive Rites before. Edd is doing dives almost that long on Deep6 regs, but has also done them on Dive Rite and HOG. Point there was that just because he uses them, as a dealer there may be different math associated with why they're getting used.
It's the same with just about every well known name in diving. I.e. Jill Heinerth diving Hollis stuff, that doesn't mean it is the best, just means that when she does her math on what to dive, they come out on top. For her, that usually means given for free.

Also no different for just about any sport where gear manufacturers are involved, it's all about sponsorship and deals that can be had that will sway you from one gear mfg to another when the products are all very similar.
KUR is doing dives just as if not more extreme and they do it on Apeks regs and SS dpvs, vs Atomic and Suex for Bernot, doesn't make any one better than the other, just better for them considering their math is different.

that is not a downplay on bernot or atomic at all, just that you have to add a grain of salt when you look at what people are diving and why because it is not clear cut

While there may be some truth to this, actually Jon and I have paid for our Atomic regulators (we have NOT been given these items, in fact there are very few things we have ever gotten free). Just want to clarify this. Jon and I have both tried a number of regulators from different manufacturers in our pursuit of gear that fits our rigorous needs (both of us involved in cave exploration at this point). We often tell customers and students that there are three brands of regulators we have tried and believe to be a cut above and two of the brands we list are NOT regulator brands we sell in our store the third is Atomic. We do try to remain ethical salespeople in our approach with the shop. If we are diving and recommending it, it's because we have put time and dives into it and believe it to be a quality product. It's no secret the shop stands to make money from gear sales but I am a big believer in selling things that I know will stand up and deliver. Hope this clarifies a few things for people.

@Kristi@CCDS thanks for clarification. I knew you had paid for them, and also know that you guys wouldn't be diving inferior products
Was never a question of ethics, just trying to paint the picture that those of us lucky enough to have great relationships with gear manufacturers often don't pay retail prices on gear and if we have to, it may well skew some of our decisions as money unfortunately doesn't grow on trees, especially in the diving industry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom