Atomics B2 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigal1956

Reaction score
I recently purcased an Atomics B2 regulator (the B2 is the successor to the B1) and would like to hear other people's opinions regarding their assessment of its performance. I have not been overly impressed with it and don't know if I had unrealistic expectations of it or what. It does not seem to perform much better than the rental regulators I used during my certification training. Based on its price and the reviews it got and other people's experience with the B1, it should "walk on water".:(

I have no personal experience with the B2, but the Atomics regulators have an excellent reputation and the people that I know who use them are all very happy with them.

From your reference to your certification I suspect that you are a faily new diver. If so you probably have not used it at depths or under conditions (depths, currents, low tank pressure, high breathing rates etc.) where the difference between a "regular" regulator and a high performance regulator like the B2 really becomes apparent.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Your B2 is a very good regulator. I considered buying one however, since I dive primarily in cold water the Apeks was a better choice for me. You should be able to tell a difference between your B2 and the run of the mill rental regulators. Don't give up on it.

Are you sure you have the adjustment knob dialed out all the way? Atomic regulators are supposed to be dived that way.

I used to use the US Divers Conshelf, and I tried various Oceanic regulators and some Mares regulators over the years and the B1 that I have now breathes noticably easier than those other regulators that I tried.

If you think that the performance may be lacking, bring it to your LDS and have them check it for breathing resistance. They should be able to tell you within seconds if it is breathing like it should be.

paulwlee once bubbled...
Are you sure you have the adjustment knob dialed out all the way? Atomic regulators are supposed to be dived that way.

Does the setting of the knob matter for storing regulators? I think I recall someone saying it should be fully wound in (i.e. the opposite of what Paul notes for diving)?

Thanks

scaldwell once bubbled...

Does the setting of the knob matter for storing regulators? I think I recall someone saying it should be fully wound in (i.e. the opposite of what Paul notes for diving)?

Thanks

No. I think people actually recommend turning the knob OUT for certain regulators to relieve pressure on the seat as much as possible, but for Atomic regs it doesn't matter anyway because the seat backs off from the orifice when the regulator is not pressurized. Also, the manual doesn't mention anything similar either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom