Attaching and Removing a Diffuser for the YS-110 alpha strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering if there is a simple way of removing and attaching the diffusers on the 110 alpha strobes. On a recent trip I took shots with and without the diffusers. However, taking them off and putting them on underwater is not an easy task. To put them on, you have to detach the optic cable, lineup the marks on the diffuser with the strobe, screw them clockwise to the strobe, and then reattach the cable. When you want to take them off you reverse the procedure. If you have two strobes, that is a major hassle. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,
I never remove mine as I have never felt they are limiting the type of photographs I take, mainly macro (Nikkor Micro 60mm lens) and wide angle (Tokina 10-17). I presume on the wide angle I could loose a stop with them on but it has not worried me, and I am assuming the diffusers give a more even coverage.
Did you notice the difference with them on and off, interested to find out if there is much difference?
Treb

I find that the diffusers limit the amount of light and don't allow for as much coverage of light with regard to wide angle shots. With the diffusers on the picture is very dark. I agree that the diffusers need to be on for macro shots. What kind of camera are you using?

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom