Attaching it all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently picked up a lightly used Zeagle Express Tech for cheap :D. It came with:

Express Tech basic config, 24# wing and...
back & shoulder pads
BX inflator
sternum strap
2" crotch strap
2 bent stainless d-rings
2 straight stainless d-rings
4 stainless belt slides
2 plastic d-rings
4 plastic belt slides
1 plastic belt buckle

I spent $20 at a LDS :( on a Trident metal buckle and molded octo retainer, but am feeling buyer's remorse =\

I dive tropical, recreation in a full 3mil Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch and single AL80 rental tanks.

I'm looking to attach the following gear:

- Oceanic Delta4/FDX10/Slimline2 octo + Cressi 3-gauge console (all on standard rubber hoses)
- Trauma shears (though I was advised by a LDS that they're useless for cutting wet netting, so maybe I need to pick up some small snips from Lowes/Home Depot?)
- small dive slate
- integrated weight solution (I last wore 15lbs in the Keys on a belt with a jacket BCD maybe I could do with less?)

My issue is that the local shops aren't like a "hardware" store where I can bring in the rig and try different stuff out. They have a limited selection. The clips and such are expensive locally and I'm just not sure what to use. I've poked around on DiveGearExpress and have some ideas, but am really unsure what to do to have to simplest, inexpensive, but safe setup.

I need to get this rig together ASAP, jump in a pool to make sure it all works and have it ready to go before the 3rd week of September when I head off to dive the Antilla and Pedernalis.

So far I'm thinking:

- silicone snorkel keeper on Right shoulder d-ring for Octo

- stainless medium clip with bungie hose clip retainer on console to Left shoulder d-ring (from DiveGearExpress)

- two XS Scuba Quick Release 5lb weight pockets, +4 stainless belt slides OR a used, hopefully cheap DiveRite 16lb weight pocket system OR just continue to use a separate weight belt.

Any advice, pictures, suggestions are appreciated!

Silicone snorkel keeper is a win. buy a couple in case one breaks

Stainless medium clip will do nicely but I'd tie on with some cave line: How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express

The XS scuba pockets are nice if you need trim weights

Not sure what you want 4 extra belt slides for - but you can always find a use for them :D

I'm not sure if the dive rite weight system will work on the express tech as they are designed to be bolted to a "proper" backplate - you'll have to look into it. My opinion, even if you need all 15 lbs you can throw some of it on the cam bands and the remaining amount should be plenty comfy on a weight belt. It seems like you should be able to drop a little weight moving from a standard BC but that's just a guess. Regardless, you'll find out when you hit the pool

If you are referencing the hose retainer, you are welcome to use it, I just prefer a more solid attachment.

The extra belt slides are for keeping the weight pockets in place on the belt and/or for the shoulder portion of webbing to keep them from being over tightened.

Gotcha - I assumed you were using the pockets on a tank cam band (which you may want to consider)

I can see three items there:

A reg necklace, and octo holder and the hose retainer.

Both the necklace and retainer can be made DIY for a fraction of the price.

Hose retainer... you just need a few inches of line (most LDS will give you an off-cut, if asked) and a lighter.

Reg Necklace... just buy some bungee... tie knots in it, maybe back those up with a cable-tie. If it costs more than $1.50 and takes more than 2 minutes, you didn't deserve to graduate from nursery school...

Of course, if you're Donald Trump you can pay menials to do the DIY work for you.... :wink:

The octo holder... costs 200x more than a snorkel holder...and will do a worse job of securing your octo..

Well, I took a ride on my break to Lowe's and bought:

1 small stainless swivel clip (for some accessory)

1 medium stainless swivel clip (for gauge console)

1 bag of 12" bungee ball cords Shop Task Force 8-Pack 12" Canopy Tarp Ties at Lowes.com (will modify some for shorter length to attach console to clip to d-ring, I might also be able to use the bungee material to make my own octo holder, and whatever is left can be used to wrap up dive gear or anything else)

for about $20

Might also check these out the next time I'm there:
Shop Wiremold 10-Pack Bungee Wrap at Lowes.com

BTW, I need to be able to easily remove the reg hoses from the BC and not have any permanent knots/rings/attachments because I don't own the reg, it's on loan. Hence the bungee wrap solution.

The reg hoses should not be attached to the BC. Maybe the LP inflator hose slid thru a piece of innertube around the bc hose. Put a dring on each hip and one on each shoulder strap. I did a review on the Express Tech complete with photos of my own rig here: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

See where I used the weight pockets on the cam band and reversed the one of the bands. This allows me to snug the weights right up against the back pad and in effect mimics my steel plates depending on how much weight I put in them. I always wear a weight belt with it unless I'm using it with a steel 95 and then I don't need any dumpable weight unless I'm in a 5 mil in saltwater with that tank. If you are going to put weight pockets on the waist belt make sure you can get to them to remove the weights if you need to. I'd recommend the XS pockets that have a tab that lifts the wieght out when you open them.

Just looked at your links to the bungee ties. Take em back. And get your money back. Get the smallest spool of braided masons nylon twine and tie the snaps on to the console and get a foot of surgical tubing and make your own octo holder with that and two zip ties. The masons twine wil come in handy for a long time for tying bolt snaps to hoses, consoles, lights, etc.

Just an FYI on the Lowes bolt snaps - the springs in their snaps are not stainless so they will rust (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) they will work fine but have a limited lifespan

Agree with Sean. They will work for a dive day or two but they are pretty much junk for diving. Dog snaps from higher end pet stores or better yet horse tack shops usually come with ss springs. Or you can order some from me! I have two sizes in stock.

Also on the snaps. Just saw that you got a small one. How small. Rember you'll be underwater, maybe wearing gloves, and likely have to clip things by feel. I don't use anything smaller than the mediums I PM'd you about for anything.

Back
Top Bottom