• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Karen Schofield, Oct 27, 2019.

1. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I came up with two contradictory anecdotes about this (quotes lightly edited with one name redacted):

"I was taxed on mine last May; me and a few others got it that trip. The people who went in Mexico City were fine. I got away with $160; I had to negotiate it down to that. It was going to be much higher as 16% on $3,500 is not cheap. I tried to tell them the value I paid was $500 and I got it used but they didn’t care unless I had a receipt to prove it and went off Backscatter’s website of the the product. Other people on our trip paid more and some paid less; one person paid $80 and we both have Nauticam housings. They are taxing it as merchandise."

"I've heard a lot of mixed things - very few negative stuff from real experiences, just 'Oh, I heard a friend of a friend of a friend had a problem,' etc. However, [REDACTED] has been in and out basically monthly and had no issues."

2. maadJurguer

maadJurguer Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    So what is the solution here? Other than, "I'm never going to Mexico again...", Which is analagous hyperbole to, "I'm never flying this airline again....", What's a person to do if you're traveling with a big sexy DSLR and some gear? It sounds like it's hit and miss with travelers here or there, so if you get hit....what's your best defense in terms of documentation, etc.?

3. davehicks

davehicks Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm thinking you put your housing and strobes, etc in to your Samsonite suitcase and hope for the best.

eleniel and borisphotosafari like this.
  4. cephalopod2

cephalopod2 Barracuda

Thanks very much @HalcyonDaze - I had been wondering if folks flying through Mexico City were getting hit.

If anyone hears info from the Loreto airport I hope they will add it.

Does anyone know if ppl with large soft-sided camera gear backpacks (e.g. Lowepro) and dive bags are being targeted?

We almost booked Baja for this Dec before I found this thread. Very glad we didn't.

5. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm still planning on a Baja trip next year, but I will be paying close attention to further reports ... and thinking creatively about my packing arrangements.

6. Mexico is a 'Failed State' :

Mexico Loses Its Sovereignty to Cartels
    President López Obrador’s strategy to negotiate with drug capos is not working.

Opinion | Mexico Loses Its Sovereignty to Cartels
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    A Drug Cartel Just Defeated The Mexican Military In Battle
    Mexico is in a state of collapse, and Americans need to realize that the crisis underway south of the Rio Grande won’t stop at the border.

A Drug Cartel Just Defeated The Mexican Military In Battle
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    How the Sinaloa Drug Cartel Clobbered the Mexican Army

How the Sinaloa Drug Cartel Clobbered the Mexican Army - The American Conservative

So they were unable to identify a camera as a camera ???

I'm sure it will, don't want too many cameras down there recording/publicizing the 'White Death' exterminating their reefs, especially potential pro photographers.

and Vaseline.

They've caught on to a real money tree now, and are probably right in assuming most tourists will just suck it up and pay. This needs to be publicized and the boycott begun!

Can you hide your camera/fancy housings from the airport X-ray machines ?

HKGuns and CZS like this.
  7. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I don't understand why they aren't just charging for a standard permit fee required to be collected and submitted by dive companies. Of course, the dive companies will have it added to your invoice, sort of un the same way we pay airport fees, departure fees, marine park fees.

8. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

The advantage of an airport collected fee by customs is that those monies can be immediately appropriated into the salary budget of the officers, rather than going through a wasteful administrative process that may forgo additional opportunities for department revenue enhancement. It promotes smaller government and the individual rights of the officers. It’s a check from the tourist without a corresponding balanced regulator. All that money into photo gear, nothing left for anything better than a mk2.

9. JackConnick

JackConnick Optical Ocean Sales ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Kind of like a shakedown? ie extortion and corruption?

Jcp2 and chillyinCanada like this.
  10. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

Fixed