ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given that Nautilus at least is going full-court press about it, it seems perfectly fair to me.

The Nautilus can do nothing except warn others as I did. It is the law of Mexico. Until the entire travel industry, the dive industry & the UW photo industries get together and do a boycott of Mexico, anyone with camera & dive gear totaling over the maximum allowed will be taxed at 16% of the value of their gear. The total allowed is only $500. Our luggage ALONE costs more than that!

So what is the solution here? Other than, "I'm never going to Mexico again...", Which is analagous hyperbole to, "I'm never flying this airline again....", What's a person to do if you're traveling with a big sexy DSLR and some gear? It sounds like it's hit and miss with travelers here or there, so if you get hit....what's your best defense in terms of documentation, etc.?

It is the law of Mexico. Until the entire travel industry, the dive industry & the UW photo industries get together and do a boycott of Mexico, anyone with camera & dive gear totaling over the maximum allowed is at risk of being taxed at 16% of the value of their gear. The total allowed is only $500. You can risk traveling with your sexy DSLR, but they looked up the price of my gear online on their cell phone so they could tax my old, cheap plastic Olympus UW housing. I dove with many other divers from different countries who were charged WAY more.

This needs a letter campaign, etc. to government and tourism offices from Mexico City all the way down the penisula and to every operator and liveaboard company.

Yes ChillyinCanada,
Until the entire travel industry, the dive industry & the UW photo industries get together and do a boycott of Mexico, anyone with camera & dive gear totaling over the maximum allowed is at risk of being taxed at 16% of the value of their gear. The total allowed is only $500.
Portal de Servicios de Aduanas

Wow! Not a racket. Official policy ... well, I guess that does not make it not a racket, just an official one.
Anyway, that is quite a deterrent you are putting up there my Dear Mexico!
It works on our family.
Hope you reconsider at some point.
Until then!
:(

Everybody's scuba gear is worth more than $500, exactly, how does this work? I flew down to Cabo last May and took a Nautilus liveaboard, nobody said a thing when I rolled through customs with my dive gear and a small camera rig worth about $1600

So leave the luxury “dive” watch at home?

If you are a diver who brings own gear and camera and lighting. You are multiples above $500.- even if you bring rags for clothing and bags and a $200.- DC.
OK with me would be to be charged a duty on “transit items” items shown / declared/ (maybe with a fine for non declared) on entry and not shown / declared on exit. Just blanket-charging for the privilege of usage of your own stuff during your relative short term visit... if that how this is to be read... To me that means “No thanks”! If it is for actual import only, that’s totally OK.
But for items to be taken in for a visit AND then back out ... Nope, not us..

This is obviously a misapplication of the law. The official policy is clearly intended for: "Temporary import of equipment for journalism activities for press, radio or television," rather than tourism activities. Take a look at the official policy via the link provided by Ms. Schofield. How many divers who are entering Mexico via Cabo and La Paz are engaging in the use of their equipment for journalism?

Everybody's scuba gear is worth more than $500, exactly, how does this work? I flew down to Cabo last May and took a Nautilus liveaboard, nobody said a thing when I rolled through customs with my dive gear and a small camera rig worth about $1600

The link that Karen posted above referencing the $500 limit states:

"Now you may currently bring with you goods up to a value of 500 dollars without paying taxes, additional to your personal luggage. This will only apply during holiday season, the rest of the year the duty exemption is 300 dollars."

"Personal luggage" means that scuba gear, your clothes and other "personal effects" are not subject to the $500 limit. In fact, your camera gear should also be considered "personal luggage" unless you're a working professional.

I respectfully disagree with Karen that this "tax" being collected is the "law of Mexico". It is not... It's an abuse/mischaracterization of a law which is explicitly intended to apply to professionals.

The link that Karen posted above referencing the $500 limit states:

"Now you may currently bring with you goods up to a value of 500 dollars without paying taxes, additional to your personal luggage. This will only apply during holiday season, the rest of the year the duty exemption is 300 dollars."

"Personal luggage" means that scuba gear, your clothes and other "personal effects" are not subject to the $500 limit. In fact, your camera gear should also be considered "personal luggage" unless you're a working professional.

I respectfully disagree with Karen that this "tax" being collected is the "law of Mexico". It is not... It's an abuse/mischaracterization of a law which is explicitly intended to apply to professionals.

Does it matter when they are using it as a money grab against diving photographers and perhaps we may assume any other tourist with great camera equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom