• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Karen Schofield, Oct 27, 2019.

1. ladiver33

ladiver33 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Posting from the SJD terminal. Have all of our dive and camera gear on us packed in "regular" non dive branded bags. Got the dreaded red button of death for secondary inspection. Bags through the X-ray machine. He then asked to see our camera gear. We pulled out the housings (Nauticam for the GH5 and the Olympus housing for the TG5). He took a look for a quick rummage through the bags, asked how much we paid for the housings answered truthfully and that was it. No fine or tax. No negotations. No problem. Took maybe 3 minutes out of our day.

paolobl65 and CanadaDan like this.
  2. large_diver

large_diver Loggerhead Turtle

Passed through SJD on Dec. 26 - green light and no one on our Rocio del Mar/Socorro trip had any issues passing thorugh customs, even those with large housings. I was carrying a large Tamron backpack

3. oly5050user

oly5050user Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞

4. dirtfarmer

dirtfarmer Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Made it thru customs yesterday no problems, I got the green light and had all my photo gear in my suitcase and left the hard box at home. ( I was a bit nervous as I had to heck the box on the customs for that I had been on a farm... had to since I live on one)
    Now I'm just waiting at the hotel to be picked up, taken to the Solmar V and head out to Soccoro.

large_diver and paolobl65 like this.
  5. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Three positive posts in a row.
    Maybe the word got though?

large_diver and dirtfarmer like this.
  6. large_diver

large_diver Loggerhead Turtle

Unfortunately I just saw this as part of a review of the Socorro Aggressor on Undercurrent (Dec. 27 trip departure)....this person passed thorugh SJC airport the same day I did (Dec. 26)

"Camera Tax: I arrived at SJD later that evening; got my bags and headed to Customs. As happened to me in my May trip, I was again pulled out for pelican case inspection (my camera system). During my last trip I was required to pay a tax on my Gates camera housing – I still believe that is not their law, but I wasn’t going to fight with officials. This time, having done my research, I had the receipt from the last visit, and the customs agent reviewed it, and said that it was good for 1 year and so I would not have to pay the tax again. I really think Aggressor should add this information to the “know before you go”.

eleniel likes this.
  7. Schwob

Schwob Solo Diver

Oh! Good to know you actually get to pay their extortion fee (tax only if you must insist) on bringing your own camera gear for your own non commercial use during your own vacation multiple times if more than year passes since the last visit or you don‘t bring the past receipt. What privilege! Good to know one should bring that receipt. Hard to understand why the paid tax would expire after a year. So now it’s looking like an annual usage fee on your own stuff...
    I for one am NIR feeling welcome and happily go elsewhere.

8. ScubaD1veDiv@

ScubaD1veDiv@ Photographer

Having learned of this scam in advance of my flight to Cabo on January 8, I took all my camera gear out of my Pelican case and put it in a backpack. I took additional measures to avoid attention by packing all of our dive gear into a hard-sided generic suitcase instead of our Seac bag to look like an average traveler. I got the green button and passed through without issue.

Cabo, unlike Cozumel, does not have all baggage scanned through X-rays upon arrival and exit so unless you get the random red light exiting customs, you should be good.

9. divengolf

divengolf Solo Diver

Does anyone know the frequency of red vs green light?

BTW I would not expect Aggressor to be forthcoming on this issue. They are dodging the Red Sea fire on their web site and future bookings. Nautilus has an excellent write up on their site for their Cabo boat.

10. yle

yle Instructor, Scuba

As part of the protest, everyone should bring six sailboats with them through customs instead of one camera housing.

laikabear, fmerkel and eleniel like this.