ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a photographer. I don't get this at all. What's their reasoning, if anyone knows. Thanks.

@Dan, I'm thinking you'll be interested/affected by this.

I just have compact camera (Sea & Sea DX-6G) & GoPro. Hopefully they let me through.

However, I won’t hold my breath for what Mexican Custom would or won’t confiscate / tax. The last time I was in CSL, they confiscated my dust blower for cleaning camera lens, like shown below. They said that rubber bulb thingy is like a grenade in their monitor screen. I replied: “Now you know it’s just a rubber bulb, can I have it back?” They said: “No!” and kept the bulb and gave me back the plastic tube piece. So I said to him: “What am I going to do with the tube without the rubber bulb?” and tossed it to the trash.

9A22B102-2239-4049-8159-6B74E4C4E700.jpeg

I posted this in the Cozumel closure poll thread -
While we've gone lots of places, we've still never done Coz for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons is I hear about too many stupid sounding things that are a real turnoff. This is just one more. (To be fair, everyplace has it's share of stupid, I may just hear less about it...)
Works just as well in this thread...

My husband is not a pro but uses a DSLR in a big housing. His equipment might be seen as professional by some, especially if that means a better shot at a vague "tax." Even if I wanted to go, there is no way I could talk him into it with this sort of nonsense. Our only trip to Mexico was a Sea of Cortez liveaboard, and I'm skeptical there will be another.

huh...interesting, this is actually hilariously Mexican.

i had my pelican cases searched in late may in Cancun but didn't get hit with any charges...perhaps before the 'tax' perhaps because i was in cancun as opposed to cabo...?

I suspect the duty was probably 16% not 60%... 16% seems to be the standard duty for most things in to Mexico based on a quick google.

Contemplating whether it's easier to just cancel my 3 weeks in Cozumel this December and go somewhere else. They seem quite determined to drive sources of revenue away by any means possible. Most of my bookings are still cancellable with minimum penalty...

Does anyone have a link to a reasonably current version of regulations in english? Google is not helping me...
(rather than hearsay that might be based on a single agent deciding to be a dick on a given day)

(This thread would probably get more chatter in the Mexico category)

For those in the USA, if you are a professional photog one is require to get get and pay for a commercial use permit if you want to photograph in National Parks and similar federally managed lands. It seems to me that Mexico is trying implement the same rules. We can debate the implementation but the idea is similar.

For those in the USA, if you are a professional photog one is require to get get and pay for a commercial use permit if you want to photograph in National Parks and similar federally managed lands. It seems to me that Mexico is trying implement the same rules. We can debate the implementation but the idea is similar.

Then they should be selling permits not taxing/confiscating

understand this, but what if you are not a professional photographer....who happens to have a decent enough camera that someone refuses to believe you aren’t a professional? With the decreasing prices and increasing technology, this is going to be a serious problem.

‘last year I was approached by and asked (told) to leave the Shanghai-La in Toronto because I was sitting at the bar with my camera and the ‘communications director’ refused to believe that I wasn’t paperrazi based solely on my camera being a Nikon Z7 with attached flash... no interest in that I was staying at the hotel..I had to stand outside until my wife returned from shopping with the room key and my wallet.. I was f$cking furious..

Just returned from a live-a-board in Sea of Cortez. Landed in San Jose del Cabo. One of our group with a big DSLR set-up had to pay $132. "Professional fee" was the reason. Didn't matter what he said about photography being only a hobby. He's good but not a professional. Another in our group with the same set-up was let go. My point and shoot Canon s100 received no interest. Just an FYI.

Rob

Just returned from a live-a-board in Sea of Cortez. Landed in San Jose del Cabo. One of our group with a big DSLR set-up had to pay $132. "Professional fee" was the reason. Didn't matter what he said about photography being only a hobby. He's good but not a professional. Another in our group with the same set-up was let go. My point and shoot Canon s100 received no interest. Just an FYI.

Rob

Was that on the way in or the way out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom