Attracting reef fish's attention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple of years ago I was on a boat with a guy who would interact with small reef fish by dangling tinsel at the end of a telescoping rod in their midst. I wasn't diving with this fellow, so I don't know how much success he had.
Anyways, outside of feeding, do any of guys have a favorite way of attracting and playing with small reef fish?

No. I leave fish and other animals alone unless I am hunting them. I have no idea what level of interaction, if any, might disrupt their natural behavior, so I err on the side of caution.

A couple of years ago I was on a boat with a guy who would interact with small reef fish by dangling tinsel at the end of a telescoping rod in their midst. I wasn't diving with this fellow, so I don't know how much success he had.
Anyways, outside of feeding, do any of guys have a favorite way of attracting and playing with small reef fish?
Like Elmer Fudd...be very very quiet...iow still in the underwater environment. The little toy you mentioned does work for some fish like the splendid toads in Cozumel.

Like Elmer Fudd...be very very quiet...iow still in the underwater environment. The little toy you mentioned does work for some fish like the splendid toads in Cozumel.

Okay, I must clarify my slightly sanctimonious reply above, since I have been guilty of inadvertently "feeding the fish" on night dives when my light illuminates their prey. I was surprised to have a splendid toadfish emerge from his hole and gobble up stuff that my light illuminated. Come to think of it, the tarpon in Bonaire like night divers for this reason, too.

Vomit under water through your regulator. Trust me, it will attract lots of fish.
Over the side of the boat works as well - just watch them come!

Open a can of vienna sausages underwater and put them in your buddies BCD pocket great fun.

Dammit. This needs to be stated once every 5,000 threads so here goes.

Warhammer.

Enough said.

Warhammer

I just started to forget about it and the mental image that gets stuck in your brain and you bring it up to tortures us again!! YUCK!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom