ATX200 2nd stage leak after valve drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dezz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi there!
I got a pair of ATX200 2nd stages on two DST 1st stages in a side mount config and they have worked flawlessly for the past 3500+ dives but recently has begun to produce a slight leak through the second stage after breathing the regs empty and turning on the gas again.
Its not a proper free flow but just a steady stream of bubbles. This has happened in waters 20°C to around 0°.
Sometimes it fixed by removing the cover and move the venturi lever slightly in the breathing direction but for cave diving I would not trust this solution in the long run. Adjusting the adjustment knob will not help.
The regs has been serviced but to no improvement.

Does any one have an idea of what it could be? Are they done for or is this something that can be fixed?

The reg has been serviced but this hasn't resolved the problem? That sounds like a poor service.

What do you mean by "removing the cover and move the venturi lever slightly"? Why would moving the venturi lever affect a trickle of bubbles and why does your venturi need the "cover" removed to adjust it? The venturi lever on Apeks second stages is external and diver adjustable.

That aside, there are two possibilities that spring to mind, both of which would have been solved by a competent service.

Firstly, and most likely, the lever height is set too high. This is adjusted by turning the LP orifice.

Secondly, and less likely, the IP in the first stage is either set too high or is creeping. This can be due to a number of factors but any service tech should have checked for a correct and stable IP before letting the regulator out of the shop. All the factors that can cause a creeping or too high IP are fixable, even on a DST with a non-removable HP orifice.

The reg has been serviced but this hasn't resolved the problem? That sounds like a poor service.

What do you mean by "removing the cover and move the venturi lever slightly"? Why would moving the venturi lever affect a trickle of bubbles and why does your venturi need the "cover" removed to adjust it? The venturi lever on Apeks second stages is external and diver adjustable.

That aside, there are two possibilities that spring to mind, both of which would have been solved by a competent service.

Firstly, and most likely, the lever height is set too high. This is adjusted by turning the LP orifice.

Secondly, and less likely, the IP in the first stage is either set too high or is creeping. This can be due to a number of factors but any service tech should have checked for a correct and stable IP before letting the regulator out of the shop. All the factors that can cause a creeping or too high IP are fixable, even on a DST with a non-removable HP orifice.

Thanks for the answer!
Maybe I wasnt clear enough, the external venturi knob does not affect the leak but removing the cover and the diaphragm to access the venturi lever inside actually does solve it temporarily.

Considering that it works great for 20 dives as long as I don't breathe it empty suggests to me (not an expert) that its set correctly, I´ve adjusted the LP orifice to the point its pretty hard to breathe but still the issue remains.

You are correct with competent service, something that is quite rare in Gothenburg where I live, last place (largest dive center in town) they didn't even test breathe the regs, both exhaust valves where stuck shut. The place before that put the parts together incorrectly and the place before that didn't clean them. All of them certified technicians..

The regs are quite old so it might not be a service issue but I´ll check the IP and might try another place for service one more time before scrapping them. Might be worth getting certified myself to do the service.

Tanks again!

I know the thread is old, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I just purchased 2 APX200 sets, albeit two different generations (one in standard silver, the other in black), and I'd just like to ask if anybody has any recommendations? I've have them inspected and they check-out fine. The only knock the inspector said was that he thought they breathed hard (who wanted to overhaul them as a solution). I've been using rentals for years and, by comparison, they are a dream so I may not be the best judge. All I know is that I'm not keen on rebuilding four regulators that I've opened, they look like they're right off the shelf on the inside, and they seem to breath pretty easily to me. Certainly compared to the face-suckers we did on the submarine, these things are easy! LOL!

He said it was hard (in his opinion), I didn't think so. Turns out they're both @ 1.1 with the seconds @1.4 and 1.5. I'll take that.

That is a bit hard for balanced seconds. You could try tuning closer to 1 and then using the adjustment knob to prevent a freeflow.

Its not a proper free flow but just a steady stream of bubbles.
Sounds like a high/creeping IP to me as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom