August Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
August 1st to 8th. Staying at Casa Mexicana. Diving the with 3P’s from the 2nd to the 7th.

First time visiting in the summer months. Aug 24 - 31 staying at Fiesta Americana and diving with DWM. What are the currents like this time of year?

First time visiting in the summer months. Aug 24 - 31 staying at Fiesta Americana and diving with DWM. What are the currents like this time of year?
The currents on Cozumel dive sites vary as much day to day and site to site as they do month to month. Yesterday's report is already obsolete. I have been diving at the same site two days in a row where one day we got swept along too fast to really see anything and the next we had to kick the whole dive. I have also been diving at two sites the same day not far from each other and seen the same contrast in current.

People who dive Cozumel a lot all year round will speak in generalities about stronger currents some times of the year and there may be some truth in it, but from diving there for more than 25 years myself my opinion is that those general trends are swamped by day to day and even hour to hour changes.

The good news is that there is no time of year where the currents are so strong that the diving isn't great.

Thanks for your reply. We've been diving the Yucatan for 20 years but only the last 6 in Cozumel. I know how the currents change from site to site, day to day, and hour to hour but I had heard some chatter on the boats about the currents going a little whacky in April (which we did experience one year) and I wondered what the warmer water might do to the current in the summer months. My wife isn't a fan of flying (underwater) so I was trying to gauge if I might need to prep her before hand a bit. Sounds like we will just take it as it comes.

August 4th -14th
Staying at El Cid for the 6th time and diving with "Dive with Martin"

Im seriously contemplating a quick trip down to dive in August since we went to Isla Mujeres this year instead of Coz. Looking at 8-5 to 8-12. Not sure where to stay yet! Looking at Del Mar so I can shore dive!

Update looking like Aug 3-10, Staying at Park Royal and diving with Blue XT Sea if she has room. Booking this weekend.

Looks like we're going back! Staying somewhere and diving with someone!

This will be interesting, wreck dives in Northern MI on Sunday in a dry suit, Palancar something on Wednesday in shorts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom