August/September in Raja Ampat - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
End of March 2017, I did a liveaboard to Raja Ampat Central and South including Misool. Misool was great, the dive sites in Central Raja Ampat were crowded and less exciting.

This year, I only get enough holiday for such a trip from end of August till the first 2 weeks of September.
I got a special offer for a trip to Central and Northern Raja Ampat on Raja Ampat Explorer with an option of spending a few days in Raja Ampat dive Lodge afterwarrds.

Low season means less divers on the sites. But how about diving conditions, waves, currents etc.?

How about diving in Northern Raja Amapt?

Best regards,

Liberty

In 2015, I did back to back two week cruises in Central and Northern RA. Conditions were fantastic, with blue water and great vis. Conditions allowed us to get to and past Wayag/Wajag which is not always possible during the high season. Saw no other boats through most of the trip. This was one of my best trips every and I would recommend it highly.
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_2145.jpg
DSC_2152.jpg
DSC_2238.jpg
DSC_2811.jpg
DSC_2652.jpg
DSC_3074.jpg
DSC_4291.jpg
DSC_4947.jpg

In 2015, I did back to back two week cruises in Central and Northern RA. Conditions were fantastic, with blue water and great vis. Conditions allowed us to get to and past Wayag/Wajag which is not always possible during the high season. Saw no other boats through most of the trip. This was one of my best trips every and I would recommend it highly. View attachment 562334 View attachment 562335 View attachment 562336 View attachment 562337 View attachment 562338 View attachment 562339 View attachment 562340 View attachment 562341 View attachment 562343

Oh my gosh, why is it considered low season? That's amazing and wonderful to have almost completely to yourselves.

In 2015, I did back to back two week cruises in Central and Northern RA. Conditions were fantastic, with blue water and great vis. Conditions allowed us to get to and past Wayag/Wajag which is not always possible during the high season. Saw no other boats through most of the trip. This was one of my best trips every and I would recommend it highly.

did you see manta in August ?
I ask you because the owner of Papua Explorer Resort told me that August in North RA is excellent for visibility and fish life ( even if some waves can be ) but zero mantas .
thanks
Paolo

I found a reiview of the that trip from September. They couldn´t go up North because of the wind. The reviewer was still quite happy seeing 2 manta rays and some sharks on an 11-nights trip (among other stuff).

And for me, I can only get three weeks for a big trip in summer. Last year, I did Komodo, in earlier years North Sulawesi, Bali, Alor, Cenderawasih Bay etc. It is rainy season in the Philippines and off season in Palau. I heard bad reports about Fiji in terms of numbers of sharks etc.

did you see manta in August ?
I ask you because the owner of Papua Explorer Resort told me that August in North RA is excellent for visibility and fish life ( even if some waves can be ) but zero mantas .
thanks
Paolo

Yes, but it wasn't at one of the typical sites for mantas. Just a random sighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom