Australia open water cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drscotch

New
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the sport and forum. My wife and I just completed our classroom and pool training (SSI) and are looking forward to doing our OW certs on our trip to Australia in March. We're landing in Sydney and taking a month or so to make our way to Cairns. We'd like to do a liveaboard/diving trip at some point.

My immediate questions are:
1. Should we do our OW cert early on in the south or wait until we're farther up the East Coast towards Cairns.
2. Are we better off doing the cert before the liveaboard?
3. Are there any specific shops you'd recommend for the OW cert &/or liveaboard?

Thanks in advance.

The Scuba Diving Destinations section of this board has a forum dedicated to Australia & the Pacific Islands. You'll see it just a little way down the board from the General Travel Discussions forum where you chose to post.

As such, I have taken the liberty of moving your question to that forum in hopes that it may receive a more comprehensive response.

As a new member, I welcome you to familiarize yourself with the board. It has a lot going on.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Well if you can handle the colder temperatures of the south, by all means finish up there. There is indigneous life there you will not see anywhere else in the world.
I'd do it before a liveaboard for sure... in fact I'd get as many dives as possible.

Hi Dr Scotch.

To answer your questions....

My immediate questions are:
1. Should we do our OW cert early on in the south or wait until we're farther up the East Coast towards Cairns.

South = PRO's: different variety of wildlife (could see the sea dragons and nurse sharks), diverse experience in diving conditions, probable increased awareness. CON's: cold (but you're from AB it'll feel like a Jacuzzi... right?), probable lower visibility, probably difficult to find a convenient SSI operator (easier in Cairns).

2. Are we better off doing the cert before the liveaboard?

It's safe to say, the sooner the better. On a liveaboard you should be diving for pure pleasure.

3. Are there any specific shops you'd recommend for the OW cert &/or liveaboard?

In Sydney, Silentworld or Deep6dive. However, If you're expecting to complete your course under SSI, I believe only 2 places in Sydney will cater for SSI (both not mentioned here).

In Cairn's, if you want the real GBR experience and not overdived/coral bleached dive sites, travel further out. This means, towards the Coral Sea/Osprey Reef. The more north, the better. Visibility is much better in these areas too. (Traditional Cairns around 25m, but Coral Sea around 30-40m vis). Taka Dive in Cairns is a good option. For about AU$650-1000 (standard/lux) for a 4/5 day trip out there (check their web page). You'll find it takes a day just to get out there but it's worth the wait. There are other operators too that go out there too, but I haven't tried them before. DO ask if the dives they do are ok for OW divers as some sites are better if you are an advanced diver.

Hope that helps.

You must stop at Byron Bay & dive @ Julian Rocks this is a must do.
But don't take too much money or hide some away you'll end up wanting to say & spend all your dosh, there goes your Cairns trip.
Who to use you say try SunDive Great staff.

Right now it is summer down there and I've seen water temperatures around 19 C (66 F) reported lately from dive shops near Sydney. I second the advice to check out diveoz.com.au. I talked to a lot of folks from down there before I went, dove with three different dive shops and enjoyed them all. They have a lot of clubs that will take you on free shore dives as well. E-mail me and I will tell you who I dove with and provide more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom