Australian GBR: Almost Died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just stumbled across this thread. Much good analysis. It brings to mind a simple principle that, once we realized it, has made diving from day boats and liveaboards more enjoyable for my buddy and me: If we were ever to find ourselves facing real trouble, whether that is running so low on air that we could no longer make a normal ascent, becoming physically exhausted by an unexpected current, or whatever, our plan is to promptly ascend and signal the boat (SMB, Nautilus, etc.), rather than try to make our way back to the boat. What we realized was, of course, not simply that this is possible but rather that any potential embarrassment is far more palatable than physically hurting ourselves. If the surface current were so swift that we would quickly be carried out of sight of the boat, we probably wouldn't have dived in the first place. But I suppose if we were knowingly diving in such conditions, we would bring a huge SMB, Nautilus, PLB, DiveAlert, etc.--that's what they're for.

Thank-you for sharing this as the more stories we hear the more we can learn. The last paragraph, as people have said is worrying but I think it also betrays something that a lot of divers do - manufacturing what was a dangerous, irresponsible situation into a 'thrill' after the fact. It saves face and pride when actually the most important thing is accepting our mistakes. By posting this you're clearly working towards this but half the reason we must always be safe is that we are responsible for our buddy, just as they are responsible for us. I was always taught that the last 700 psi in my tank belongs to my buddy. You didn't know how much air she had, how she would manage in the current, and it is hard to gauge someone's fitness in the water even if they look slim or in shape. While it might have been a thrill for you, your thrill could have proved fatal for her. It is a shame that you didn't include her state in your entry at the end of the dive. Was she frightened? Did she feel ill or unconfident about her next dive? Did you buddy again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom