Auto ISO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi: I did a search with no real results here so let's discuss this topic.
Using an UW rig with DSLR camera, anyone use the following settings:

1. Manual mode (eg: 1/200 sec, f:11)
2. Flash: Non-TTL (eg: -1.5 power)
3. Camera ISO setting: Auto ISO (limit highest ISO to say 1000).

Thank you friends.

I don't use the auto ISO because it complicates matters. With the manual setting above and in MACRO setup, flash takes over one's lighting; adding auto ISO might make things unmanageable.

I don't use the auto ISO because it complicates matters. With the manual setting above and in MACRO setup, flash takes over one's lighting; adding auto ISO might make things unmanageable.

Agree. I use auto ISO only when shooting under ambient light, and the lighting conditions are changing rapidly and unpredictably, and I'm too lazy or don't have time to keep changing my manual settings. That said, I usually shoot with ambient light underwater just to keep my equipment simple, so I am usually using auto ISO. But if I were using flash I would just set ISO for the flash and exposure settings (and shoot in RAW to salvage most of my mis-exposed shots).

Set ISO to 100 or 200 and adjust your strobe power instead.

Aperture (f 8 or 11), Shutter speed (1/160 - 1/200) and ISO (100 or 200) should be fixed for ambient (background light). Then adjust strobe power for lighting foreground or subject.

I think what will happen is that the camera doesn't know that the flash is there. You point it at the scene and the camera says "ha, this is dark, I need a high ISO" and when you shoot the flash things don't go the way you think they should. Just set ISO to whatever you like and go from there.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom