• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a bit high (0.6-0.7+ depending on the conditions), but recently (after standardizing/streamlining my gear, get more dives/experience and switching to solo) I am approaching 0.4 (warm water, no current) and still slowly improving. I choose 0.5-0.59 as an average. For normal circumstances 15lt/min is what I use for gas planning nowadays.

.....There's a lot more moving around, repositioning, finning, etc to get those shots and that can add up in terms of energy expended and gas consumed.
I'm 1000 % guilty there ! I don't know how to do the RMV/SAC formula stuff. I'm a commercial lobster hunter and to be successful I need to cover as much U/W realestate as I possible can in 35 minutes at 110ft deep. I hit the bottom with 160 cuft of gas and return topside with ~23 cuft of air remaining in the tank. I think that puts me at 4 cuft per minute, which is almost like a broken LP hose. Yep,,,it's takes ALOT of air to harvest ALOT of lobsters and travel almost a mile each dive.

I'm 1000 % guilty there ! I don't know how to do the RMV/SAC formula stuff. I'm a commercial lobster hunter and to be successful I need to cover as much U/W realestate as I possible can in 35 minutes at 110ft deep. I hit the bottom with 160 cuft of gas and return topside with ~23 cuft of air remaining in the tank. I think that puts me at 4 cuft per minute, which is almost like a broken LP hose. Yep,,,it's takes ALOT of air to harvest ALOT of lobsters and travel almost a mile each dive.
That's a RMV of about 0.9 cf/min, not bad with all that swimming and work :)

:DI just noticed, this is my 10,000th post since joining SB in 2004:D

I voted based on single tank rec diving given that it’s the Basic forum, but would like to point out that it depends heavily on the activity ...

• Rec diving in tropical waters with single tank 10-12 l/min so 0.35-0.42 cu ft/min
  • Tech diving working phase (ie swimming with doubles/stages, laying line) 15-16 l/min so 0.52-0.56 cu ft/min
  • Tech diving deco 8-12 l/min so 0.28-0.42 cu ft, sometimes more, depends if there is current etc. Very similar to rec diving, sometimes less than rec diving
  • Tech diving heavy work (ie rescue drills, hauling around a large „unconscious“ buddy with doubles plus me in doubles, swimming him out of a cave etc) 20 l/min plus so 0.7 cu ft/min or more
I always plan dives on 20 l/min, especially minimum gas calculations. Tracking consumption during a dive is then a check vs what I expect given the respective activity

Warm water, single tank= .4

Doubles, drysuit, deco bottle= .6+

Thanks, 55 additional responses to 2016 poll
upload_2019-8-7_10-40-31.png

Given my own experience, you probably ought to split the stats between wetsuit (possibly warm water diving) data and drysuit (possibly cold water diving) data.

I have almost consistently a lower SAC when I'm diving wet than when I'm diving dry.

Given my own experience, you probably ought to split the stats between wetsuit (possibly warm water diving) data and drysuit (possibly cold water diving) data.

I have almost consistently a lower SAC when I'm diving wet than when I'm diving dry.

Yeah, I add 0.1 cfm to my planning when diving dry to account for air usage for the suit. Wouldn't be applicable if using argon though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom