Average set up costs for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I am not certified yet, I have been looking for a good LDS to learn from here in Portland. I have been asking a ton of questions and found a shop/instructor that I like. I also asked the same question you are asking..."What kind of gear should I buy". The instructors answer was to wait until after certification in order to figure out what kind of diving I will be interested in and then go from there to avoid buying the wrong equipment and having to sell it and buy all over again. This all makes sense to me so I am waiting to buy but I am still researching different equipment so that I can make an informed decision later when the time comes. :crafty:

I'd wait a bit and look at various sites (e.g., Craigslist, Scubaboard, etc. - not sure what they use in England) for good deals on sets of gear. There are plenty of people who are giving up diving (constantly). Also, test out some rental gear.

I love my gear, but I did buy some new stuff from my LDS (BCD and Reg set) that was expensive (at least I have a good relationship with them now). After I bought my new gear, though, I found a lot of great deals from people on Craigslist and Scubaboard, where I bought my other stuff.

I'd suggest educating yourself on gear thoroughly before buying it, either by talking to your LDS or experienced divers. It'll help a lot to know what's good and bad. The only thing I would buy local (and maybe new) is a drysuit, so you can make sure the drysuit fits perfectly before buying. Also, you can buy the regulator set (with octo, SPG, depth gauge, etc.) local too, just to make sure it's decent before you bet your life on it.

Edit:

Costs: Probably $2500+ new (BCD, regs, drysuit, etc.), as low as $700 for a decent set used (I've seen cheaper, but I wouldn't count on it).

I'm PADI OW cold water, with a knife, also my girlfriend and her 12yr old son. For safety reasons.
I think it's a great way for shops to make extra money selling gear.

When we where in Cozumel, Lucio (our instructor/guide) made us take it off.

I can think of no reason for owning a knife for safety other than Kelp ... And for $75? Look at the SB banner page you can get one for less than $15. Sounds like someone needed to sell some knifes!

I won't chime in on prices because it sounds like you've got some good UK advice already. What I'll tell you is for me, being extremely new to the sport I asked the dive shop I was interested in dealing with for a list of what I'd need and what it would cost.

They were great about sending me an email listing the required elements for the course with low to high price ranges. They let me know up front what could be rented and what rentals came with the cost of the class (everything but fins, mask, snorkel and boots).

The key peice of advice I'd pass on as a novice is going to the shop to be fitted up. Having never purchased this kind of gear it was great having knowledgeable staff showing us what to look for in a well fitting mask (my husband's face was very difficult to fit, tried on at least 4 masks, where I fit the first one), helping me figure out that men's boots fit my ankles better than women's boots and providing perspective on whether or not to buy split fins.

Yes, the mask cost me more than the same one online but for me the learning experience was worth the extra cost.

What you need....

• Regs - First stage, second stage/Octo and SPG. This you may want to get new, or used from a LDS. If you buy used you likely will need it serviced which will run $100+/- . I like gauge hockey puck SPGs made of brass.
  • BC - Can get this used. Make sure the BC holds air. I like Back Inflate BCs.
  • Mask - Make sure it fits. I like low volume teardrop style masks. Did I say fit is important?
  • Fins - I like Apollo Biofins, or Mares Quattros. Again its all about fit. I own to many fins.... my weakness.
  • Wetsuit - If you need more than a 3mm suit, I dive it dry. So Drysuit. That is my choice however. Do not buy a used wetsuit unless its almost new. Used wetsuits can be very nasty! :mooner:
  • Booties. I like semi soft sole, but my entries are not a challenge/rocky.
  • Computer - It should be Nitrox. Mine is an Aeris Epic. But you can get it used just make sure it has the features you want. For me Nitrox is a must. This is not something you can add later, you buy another puter.
  • Safety Sausage - a must have for ocean boat dives. At least 4' tall, 6' is more better.
  • Hood - Needed for diving cold (62F-). Can be a beanie for tropical. If you do 4 or more tropical dives a day they help keep you warm.
  • Gloves - Imo a must have to keep off things like Fire Coral on decent lines. Not always necessary.

There are a ton of things you can get but these are must haves for almost all environments, well the SS is for open water boat diving. You do not generally need a knife! :D

I'm a big fan of discountdivers.com

Has saved money for many a new diver, and avoids the question mark used items on CL.

good folks there at discountdivers.

I think that another thing to consider is where you're located.

For instance, when I was getting certified in NY, where diving is not as popular as it is here in Fl, the shops tended to have less merchandise and the gear they did have was moderately $$ and up. This was one deterrent that led me to buy online.
Upon moving to Florida, things are very different here. There's a dive shop ever two blocks (give or take). So the competition is high. There are also many more divers (hello, this is florida! :p ) So the shops have good prices, and have much more merchandise for all types of buyers. If I had to rebuy all of my gear, I would by it at a LDS in FL

You should evaluate your location and if it would be beneficial to buy online or at the LDS.

Pardon the noob curiousity but I thought a knife was absoutely essential gear to every diver. There are two divers here saying a knife is not needed. Does that mean that you don't use one at all or that it is not a primary tool to buy up front?

Pardon the noob curiousity but I thought a knife was absoutely essential gear to every diver. There are two divers here saying a knife is not needed. Does that mean that you don't use one at all or that it is not a primary tool to buy up front?

Hi,

Personally, I would not dive without a knife. Dead stop. Period. I carry two, one as a backup in case I drop the first.

People dive in different conditions/circumstances/environments. Maybe those who don't carry one, have never seen the need to in the environments they're diving.

I see lots of monofilament, roped lobster pots etc where I dive, I've got entangled in the past (so far never needed to cut my way out) but choose to not find out the hard way.

Hth
Bill

Back
Top Bottom