Avoiding "new diver" mistakes: from training, to gear, to edict, to... everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JohnnyC that was great advice!! My biggest pet peeve is seeing a new diver (or a bad diver) with a camera underwater. Do not take a camera underwater until you have a ton of dives under your belt and have mastered your buoyancy. Until then you will only kill the reef and critters, or just be too far away from them to get good pictures. You won't be a good buddy and you won't pay attention to the things you need to survive.

One of the most common new diver mistakes (I jest) is expecting a fresh discussion of every topic that pops into a diver's head before he's even done his first OW dive. You mentioned in another one of your threads that you DO make a point to read all the old threads on a topic you can find before starting a new discussion. But still. Is everything that pops into your head going to warrant a new thread with you at the center of a fresh discussion? Okay, okay ...

Here, though I suspect you have read all of these and yet want still more more more discussion:

Rookie Mistakes

Newbie Diver Mistakes-Don't do what I did

I made newbie mistakes

Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Rookie Diver mistake: uncontrolled ascent

New Diver -- Lessons Learned -- Nassau

And many more.

As far as safety-related mistakes, give Diver Down a read (if you haven't already).

Then please just go diving. Researching how to avoid major mistakes that can affect your safety is a worthy goal, but more generally speaking you will learn by making mistakes and, well, by just going diving.

^^^^^^^^
This. Scubaboard is very accommodating of posters asking the same old questions instead of doing their research for already discussed similar topics. Nice in a way, but still...

When I first started out I lurked for quite some time before even joining. Then it was still just to read with virtually no posts. I think in the 18 months or so here I have started maybe 3 threads.

Accept the fact that you are a Rookie and will, in fact, make Rookie mistakes. That being said, I recommend that you dive as often as possible in as many differing conditions as possible. Shore diving, boat diving, ocean diving, lake diving, night diving, (get the idea)? Scuba is not an internet sport, and while reading technical and educational literature is good, it is not a substitute for underwater time.

Get involved with a LDS / diving club and do lots of local dives, these are much cheaper than traveling and as you are in the Pacific NW will give you a lot of cold water experience. Cold water diving is a specialty, but it is awesome (I have the Great Lakes in my area). An accomplished cold water diver will be accepted in just about any circle as an accomplished diver, period.

There are many specialties in diving and you will need training for each one. Get used to being a Rookie, because even with hundreds of open water dives, during your first few overhead environment dives you'll be a Rookie once again.

^^^^^^^^
This. Scubaboard is very accommodating of posters asking the same old questions instead of doing their research for already discussed similar topics. Nice in a way, but still...

Except that filmguy, to his credit, does his research AND then asks the same old questions. Perhaps just in case someone who didn't participate in the previous threads has something new to add. Perhaps to put himself in the center of the conversation. Anyway, nothing wrong with it per se. It is not discouraged on SB as far as I know. But as others have pointed out in his various threads, it might be more beneficial to use the old threads as springboards to help formulate more focused questions than the same old ones.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud or negative but one of the most common mistakes is thinking you are going to stay with this sport. In the NW the drop out rate is somewhere around 90-95%, no matter HOW committed or enthusiastic you are at the start. Been diving here 20 years, belong to the most active club in the NW. I've seen almost a complete turnover of the Club in that period. I was pretty sure my NW OW1 dives were going to be my last. Bonaire 'saved' me and I continued, with a lot of support from an enthusiastic spouse. It REALLY REALLY REALLY helps to have a steady buddy, or a group you can count on to dive with you.

On the other hand around here in order to be successful you pretty much do have to commit, with all the attendant purchases. Rental gear simply will not cut it. It won't kill you but by and large it's lackluster and painful to pay for on a piecemeal basis, especially if you are diving at the level to actually make progress, something you've already asked about. ALL of this junk is.....weird....by definition. We are not designed to be underwater. EVERYTHING you put on or try will be kind of odd until you've got enough experience to be able to personally evaluate how it works. Ask a dozen questions >>>> get 200 opinions. You WILL drive yourself crazy.

Jeez, put the damn keyboard down and go diving. Come back in 6 months or 50 dives, whichever comes first. As stated, OW1 is not much to get you started around here. Minimum is OW1 + a few dives, then right into Advanced, a horribly and inappropriate named stage. Advanced should be called [Marginally prepared to survive cold water diving].

Last edited:
That's my advice to new divers. No gear advice, no training advice, just slow down and do the process, don't get so excited to move on to the next thing, don't go chasing c-cards. You'll learn what you like through experience and exposure, you can't get that from a forum or a PADI book.

I just did my AOW and there were 2 other divers who had JUST come out of their OW training. They were pretty terrible- awful buoyancy control, burned through air, one even had a panic attack during the initial descent and rocketed to the surface (he was only about 8 ft down, but still)! But they still got their AOW certs! I was so glad that I had done 20 some odd dives between OW and AOW... my husband and I had actually DONE some of the skills we were being tested on. We are by no means experts, but I learned the value of the real experiences when I saw how UN-experienced some of my fellow classmates were. It also kinda freaked me out a bit because I didn't think those guys should have passed... but that might be an institutional issue?

i see alot of post about not buying gear and such. my advice is ask questions if you do not understand something. i am sure your instructor will be happy to answer them. i had a hard time with tables and my instructor took time after class to go over them with me until i understood and it turned out there were others in the class that didnt quite grasp them either -- this is just an example. another was how to properly clear ears.

as a new diver it takes time to learn these things and once you dive more you will get the hang of it and as far as scubaboard is concerned there is great info out there -- just do a search. but be aware of those that talk tech talk that may be over your head -- and dont be afraid to ask questions. you may get flamed for it, but hey at least you asked and there may be someone out there that may take the time to answer you.

The absolute best diver I ever met gave me this advice: "Your card is a learners permit. You need to practice all those skills you were introduced to till you have them down to a conditioned reflex. Do only one at a time till you perfect it before you move on the next. First buoyancy, then trim, then ...And always, ALWAYS minimize your task load."

This is a fantastic analogy and perfect advice! Especially because like new drivers, new divers also think they know it all & are great within a small amount of time with <50 drives/dives under their belt. This advice above will prevent the #1 newbie mistake.

1. As a photographer, it will be difficult for you not to bring the camera with you. Don't touch it till you have at least 50-100 dives under your belt in varying conditions. I waited & the waiting time ensured that I was better diver, a better buddy & could take better photos.

2. Don't take a group AOW course. Take it one-on-one with a good instructor. It will up your dive skills tremendously.

3. Do take a Nitrox course so you have it when you want to use it or need to use it cause you're doing so many dives.

4. Don't buy equipment until you have many dives in many different scenarios so you really know what kind of diving you'd like to do & the type of equipment it makes sense to buy.

5. Don't listen too much to other divers. It's good to get advice & I applaud it. I do the same thing. However, you need to take it with a grain of salt. You are responsible for your own safety. For instance: When I was a newbie, a diver who introduced me to NE diving as a part of an official dive outing & had hundreds if not thousands of dives under his belt, said I needed a clip. He got one out of his spare gear & tied it onto my BC. I really appreciated it & didn't give it another thought till a year later when someone else said that the clip was dangerous. He referred to it as a "suicide clip" because it could only open inwards & things could get easily stuck in there. He was right. I took the clip from the NE diving guy without a 2nd thought because he was the "expert", but I am the one responsible for my own safety & should have looked into why this clip looked so different than the ones that all of the other divers had.

6. Do a proper buoyancy check often as a newbie as well as any time you've switched gear. Over weighting is quite common & a hard habit to break once you've done it for a while. +Sometimes even small changes in gear can make a difference to the weight you need.

7. Don't dive outside of your limits & don't do a dive that you feel uncomfortable doing. It doesn't matter if the whole boat wants to do a particular dive or you just have a bad feeling...don't do any dive that doesn't make sense to you. You can call a dive for any reason with no explanation necessary.

8. Equalize before you think you need to equalize.

Back
Top Bottom