Awesome Adventure with Kids!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SB'ers! I would just like to say I have a 11 year old daughter working toward her JOW and a 9 year old son who was just on the fence about scuba till yesterday. I have been busy helping with dive instruction as a DMC and got a free week end so I took my family to Gilboa for a diving and snorkeling day.
What I found was incredible! My son who was a pool clinger turned into before my very eyes a snorkeler! With the aid of fish food, we chummed in the fish and it was unbelievable. I watched wonder and excitement replace any fear or anxiety. We snorkeled about 200 yards in his sisters 5/3 wetsuit and mask, snorkel, fins, they were a little big and he now wants his own!
My daughter has been a little anxious about her coming pool training, After an hour snorkeling and skin diving I assured her she would be fine. She was more than fine she was incredible! I would demonstrate she would do it! I was so impressed and proud it blew me away! I found myself thinking about my son and daughter when on dives with my wife, soon they will be able to join us! This is my dream to give this opportunity to them, to share in the adventure and wonder of the underwater world!
Parents, adults, big brothers or sisters do not miss the opportunity's before you to influence son's, daughters, siblings, or just others. Pass on scuba and a love for the water that is a healthy active way of life. In just a few moments we can change others lives forever for the better! My two hours of time in the water with my kids has changed them, given them confidence and comfort in the water. They are ready for more adventure! What it has given to me, I only am starting to realize! As a parent we need times of adventure with our kids; the zoo, caving, scuba, etc. it reminds us of the wonder of a child. It is infectious and can recharge our batteries!
I needed that and wow it was awesome! So I encourage all who can give it a try, pass it on! Good luck and safe diving to all!:)
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

CamG,

I agree that a couple of hours with your child can make all the difference in their lives. I remember very well about a year and a half ago sitting with my daughter who was then 10 years old discussing diving that I did as a teenager and in my twenties. She expressed an interest in doing it herself; so I got her a JOW certification for Christmas 06. She was certified before she turned 11. That summer we did a trip to our local quarry which was our first dive together, then we headed to Florida for a couple of dives in the springs, then down to Key Largo. Key Largo was fantastic for JOW divers. There are several very good reefs that are less than 40 feet. We made another short spring trip in 08 to Key Largo for a couple more dives; but our biggest and best trip so far was to Bonaire in June of 08. She was now 12 and not restricted to 40 feet. Now I had been diving for 25 years (since age 12); I had many dives under my belt and felt quite comfortable with my skills (around 400-500 dives). She was a natural and it was an incredible bonding experience for us. We made 15 dives (I'd have preferred to make another 5 or more that week), all of which were fantastic. This was some of my best diving so far and it was similarly great for her. Now we plan our vacation time around where we can go diving together. Our last trip to Florida was sort of a bust due to Tropical Storm Fay, but we still got in 3 nice dives, one of which was a drift dive in Jupiter of 30 minutes at 80 feet. She handled it like a pro. She now has 40 dives under her belt. It seems to me that kids pick up the skills and comfort level under water much more quickly than adults. That said she does lack some of the judgement and navigation and planning that you would need to lead a dive or plan your own dive. I'm sure that will come with time. She is only 12. I am delighted to have a lifelong buddy and someone who is enthusiastic to go diving with me.

I still have a son (age 10) and a wife who are not certified, but both are interested in diving. We plan to go back to Bonaire next summer and perhaps Roatan the following (2010) summer. I would encourage parents on the fence to take the plunge... Happy diving. Ben

My 17 year old and I are doing a Belize liveaboard in 2009.

Did Cocoview with the other daughter - one on one - awesome opportunities through SCUBA!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom