BAA Atoll Vs North Male Vs Ari in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k_hanna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Baa Atoll late July. Its SW monsoon and Hanifaru Bay is in season. I understand this is a protected site and no diving is allowed only snorkelling which is fine BUT obviously I want to also dive.... so I started questioning if Baa Atoll is the right choice overall.

I can see that north male atoll also offers some great options, as does Ari atoll. Basically I am just trying to determine ... which atoll after hours of research and its hard to determine.

Hanifaru Bay is the main attraction in Baa and I know it will be busy so I just want to ensure the dive sites here are also decent.

I have about 1 week and LOB isn't a option unfortunately but I am only going for the diving!

• Which atoll in central Maldives would you select with access to the best number of dive sites? Batoll or other?
  • Would you consider splitting the week in half e.g. 4 days in BAA and 3 days in north male?
Thanks!

@Sunn I know LOB would be the best way to go. I am travelling with a friend who doesn't dive and not keen on the LOB. Your right though not really a different in price.

So just back from Baa Atoll and thought to share my fav dives sites. Overall the diving was a comfortable 7:10. For me it was just great to be back in the water again. I lot of the coral is damaged but there is also some really beautiful sites. In order for preference and left of the dive sites that were not worth it! What I did like was that it was quiet. Never another boat on the site I think most are in ari atoll further south. So it was nice to avoid the crowds. I did see mantas snorkeling (tourist vibes lots of first time snorkelers flapping around) but didn’t see them diving.

1Dhonfanu thila great for the bigger stuff dived here 3 times saw grey reefs each time and just a abundance of schooling fish. There’s also a nice swim through.
2Yellow wall: beautiful soft corals loved it here
3 the pinnacles
4Giraavaru Thila

Back
Top Bottom