Baby steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello gang, Ive been searching the web for a c-5050 camera and housing and I have reviewed every post in this fine web site on a olympus c-5050. the best price I can find for a new camera is at beach camera for 439.00 with 20 bucks for shipping. The housing I found at the Sams club site for 141.24 with 6.38 shipping (membership store) these prices seem perfectly acceptable but before I order them I need some advice. The camera comes with a 32MB xd card, I have read that buying a 256MB CF card and using it with the 32MB xd card is a good start or should I get the 256xd Oly card and then get some 256MB cars later? I guess one nice feature of the camera is the additional card ports but I really dont know anything about these products.

I will be waiting on a strobe, I will purchase a Inon D-180at a later date, so to begin with I will be doing macro photo shots (which I think are the most fascinating anyway) I read that a good place to start is to buy a wide angle lens and the Inon rather than UN is the WAL of choice. The best price on this item I found was at UWdigital. the Inon uwl-105ad for what looks like 210.00 plus shipping.The Inon ufl-165ad looks pricey but if If I get the wrong one first trying to save money will just cost more in the long run. I really not sure on which lens to buy. I know its a highly subjective and peoples opinion will be different but any advice will help. One last question, is there a WAL that can be used in land mode? or do they all require a adaptor to fit the UN PT-015 housing, Thanks!

Regarding the size of a CF card. It depends on how many pictures you would like to take per dive, the resolution you use, and how often you want to open the housing. For example if you shoot in SHQ each file is about 3+mb. The 256 mb card will hold about 75 pics. I've often shot 50-60 pics on one dive, which would mean I'd have to change or download the card after every dive. The more often you have to open the housing the more chances for a possible problem. I'd only use the xd card as a backup just in case the whale shark swims by & the CF is full. Lots of things to consider for a new system.

DoubleDip:
The camera comes with a 32MB xd card, I have read that buying a 256MB CF card and using it with the 32MB xd card is a good start or should I get the 256xd Oly card and then get some 256MB cars later? I guess one nice feature of the camera is the additional card ports but I really dont know anything about these products.

I read that a good place to start is to buy a wide angle lens and the Inon rather than UN is the WAL of choice. The best price on this item I found was at UWdigital. the Inon uwl-105ad for what looks like 210.00 plus shipping.mode?

Welcome to the club!

I'd get at least a 512 CF card first...they are excellent value and you'll want as much memory as possible. I only have the xd card that came with the camera and have only needed to use it as backup a couple of times since I switched to the 512 cards. You'll find that you can get more memory on the CF for less than xd. If you find a great deal on the XD cards upgrade that, too!

For lenses, I think that the two you are looking at are the macro lenses. If you want macro go with the 165 from INON. If you are looking at WAL then I think it is the 100 from INON - there is also a dome port for this lens for 128 degrees...I have the lens but no dome and no immediate plans for one at this time.

I picked up a 220s INON strobe instead of the 180...only a few dollars more for more manual settings and more output & coverage. Seemed like the way to go after thinking about it and asking a million questions of people. Everyone who has the 180 is happy with it, too, so I don't think you can go too far wrong with either. But if you are even thinking of ever moving to dSLR, you might want to consider something other than the 180 which isn't the first choice for those cameras.

HTH!

Your plan sounds like a good one. I'm satisfied with my Inon D-180. UWDigital is great to do business with.

I use a 512CF card with the 32XD for backup. I haven't had to use it yet. But one reason to use it is if you want to take panorama shots. The Oly XD card is formatted to allow that feature.

We purchased from DigitalDelivered.com for 330 for a refurb. I think the brand new one was 380. Shipping was 20. Housing form B&H. Best prices for cards I found was Amazon. Also although you can use xD or compact flash, you cannot use them at the same time. xD is the current "latest and greates" and for about 160 for 512 MB, isn't a bad deal at all!

We purchased from DigitalDelivered.com for 330 for a refurb. I think the brand new one was 380. Shipping was 20........

I knew this would happen, you just saved me over 50.00 off new and over 90.00 for a refurbished unit. Thanks Sir!

Whats your choice for a add on lens?

Thanks for the encouraging words. Did you have any advice concerning the add on lens topic? BTW, many, many post back when the discussion was about homemade trays you asked for a source for lexan products.Lexan is a registered polycarbonate material, you can buy some from www.woodcraft.com or www.rockler.com, at around14.00 a square foot.

Welcome to the club, But if you are even thinking of ever moving to dSLR, you might want to consider something other than the 180 which isn't the first choice for those cameras.

As to the question of "being in the club" I've seen the photographs that you folks take underwater ...very inspiring. The strobe advise you have givin me is worth merit, with the advances in digital technology it is important to look ahead. I will give you advice serious consideration in the coming weeks before I decide which Inon strobe I purchase, Thank's

DrSteve:
Also although you can use xD or compact flash, you cannot use them at the same time. xD is the current "latest and greates" and for about 160 for 512 MB, isn't a bad deal at all!

You can have the CF and XD both in the camera at the same time but the camera only writes to the one you designate. You can switch from one to the other at any time. For instance, I use the CF for pictures but switch over to the XD if I want to take a video clip.

Is that what you meant DrSteve?

I really like my Sea & Sea wide angle lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom