Baby steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my Sea & Sea wide angle lens.

Dee, I will have 7mm gloves on here in the Pacific northwest, I thought I read that you or Gilligan had a bayonet style lens mounting system? are they availible with a PT-015 and the Sea & Sea lens? Thanks

I've got a C5050, but a Patima housing (which fits INON 67mm lenses and uses a Nikonos 105 strobe), so I won't bother with your lens or strobe questions, I really have no valuable input.

Regarding the cards, the real question is whether you're going to be able to offload the pictures from the card(s) between dives, and how many dives you'll be doing before offloading the pictures. I've found that on 4 rechargeable batteries, I can do 2 one hour dives without having the batteries conk out. I've tried for 3 one hour dives, and the batteries have run out midway through the 3rd dive, so I'm always going to assume 2 dives between reloads. On vacation dives, I bring a laptop with me, which means I offload pictures every 2 dives, at the same time I open my housing to change the batteries. On a 256MB card at HQ, I can get over 200 pictures (the pictures were running a little over 1M each, so I'd guess around 225 would have been the maximum). I have a 256MB XD, which cost me $89 at CostCo, and additionally have a 256 MB Compact flash, which cost me around $60 last year (it can probably be had for less these days, and I actually have 2 of them that I used in an S50 that went belly up after the crappy Canon case flooded). As it happened, my laptop was my source of failure on my last trip, so I wound up having to use close to the 512MB to store 3 days worth of pictures from KBR, although I did have some space to spare (I had 200 pictures apiece on each card). That included having to go through the pictures and delete the ones I could tell were "dogs" (they were out of focus or cut off the subject). If you don't have anything to offload to, and you know you're going to be doing 1 week vacations, make sure to get a 512 XD and 512 Compact flash - the one thing you'll find is that with the Olympus, you will take a lot more pictures than you ever expected, and you'll have a hard time deciding which ones to get rid of if you need the space (well, eventually, although you'll probably need some practice with the camera first). On a 2 week vacation to Bunaken and Lembeh, I wound up having approximately 1.5 GBytes of pictures. They weren't all perfect, but they do serve as a visual log of my dives.

Incidentally, with a superior digital camera like the 5050, get ready to laugh at the people who spend a ton of time writing notes in their log books about the fisth that they saw on a dive. A picture is worth a thousand words, even if its a crappy one, and disk drives and CD recordables are dirt cheap these days.

Sir, I will definitely need to take a laptop computer for image uploading while on vacation, but I dont think it will save the log book I'm quite the scribbler when it comes to that particular dive activity, also I will be heading to Costco in the afternoon for some CF card's, Thank's for the advice!

DoubleDip:
I really like my Sea & Sea wide angle lens.

Dee, I will have 7mm gloves on here in the Pacific northwest, I thought I read that you or Gilligan had a bayonet style lens mounting system? are they availible with a PT-015 and the Sea & Sea lens? Thanks

No, mine screws onto the housing lens port. I'm pretty sure Gilligans does too. I think the Boyonet adapter is still available at B&H(?). The boyonet adapter is usually used because someone already has S&S lenses left over from their MMII/MX-10 rigs. If you're buying new, get the regular lens for digital housings/cameras.

I'm a big believer in the Digital Lens Dock. Not only does it hold and keep your lens safe, it has a tether system that attached to both your lens and the tray/housing in case you drop it while attaching it. And if you're using 7ml gloves, you need the security it will provide.

I will definitely need to take a laptop computer for image uploading while on vacation

One other bit of advice then, if you have a laptop, make sure you have some way of backing it up. Depending on where and how you vacation, the conditions may not be 100% compatible with a laptop computer. I'm still not sure why mine fried, but I have had it on liveaboards in the past, where it certainly would have been possible to get sea water onto the laptop, and electronics don't like sea water because it conducts and causes short circuits. I happened to have an extra laptop hard drive; I picked up an Enermax USB 2.0 case for that hard drive, I now have an external hard drive that I can use to make back-ups, and, believe me, from now on I'm going to be doing some sort of backing up on a daily basis after offloading pictures (cost me $300 to go to a place to have my hard drive restored). You may want to choose to get by on CD or DVD recordables, depending on your laptop.

I dont think it will save the log book I'm quite the scribbler

Do what you gotta do. Actually, I'm still looking for a good electronic logbook myself, I have a tablet PC, so I can scribble to my hearts content, but the paper logbooks just don't have enough space to suit my tastes, and consequently I wind up scribbling very little. Unfortunately, a roll-your-own divebook probably won't suffice for PADI when it comes to recorded dives for taking Instructor classes (assuming I ever take those courses).

Sorry to hear about the Laptop shooting crap's. One of the primary reasons I enjoy Scubaboard is the ability to get real life dive information first hand, like the story you shared with me about your Laptop, hopfully your tip will save some "priceless" images, Thank's!

TheNitroxinator:
Unfortunately, a roll-your-own divebook probably won't suffice for PADI when it comes to recorded dives for taking Instructor classes (assuming I ever take those courses).

Yes it will :) Most ppl after a certain number of consumer log books have their own of some style!

Dee:
You can have the CF and XD both in the camera at the same time but the camera only writes to the one you designate. You can switch from one to the other at any time. For instance, I use the CF for pictures but switch over to the XD if I want to take a video clip.

Is that what you meant DrSteve?

No...I meant that I cannot see how you can physically have both cards in the camera at the same time. There just doesn't appear to be the space. Is there some trick I cannot work out?

DrSteve:
No...I meant that I cannot see how you can physically have both cards in the camera at the same time. There just doesn't appear to be the space. Is there some trick I cannot work out?

Open your memory card door and look at it. The CF card goes in the front slot, it's the biggest. Just behind it, you'll see a smaller slot the same width of the XD card. That's where the XD card goes. The thin slot at the very back is where the Smart Media card goes. You can have CF and XD, CF and SM, and I think XD and SM....I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....installed at the same time and switch back and forth by using the button to the lower right of the monitor. All I've used in my 5050 is the CF and XD combo.

Dee:
Open your memory card door and look at it. The CF card goes in the front slot, it's the biggest. Just behind it, you'll see a smaller slot the same width of the XD card. That's where the XD card goes. The thin slot at the very back is where the Smart Media card goes. You can have CF and XD, CF and SM, and I think XD and SM....I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....installed at the same time and switch back and forth by using the button to the lower right of the monitor. All I've used in my 5050 is the CF and XD combo.
I'll get my wife to check it out tonight :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom