Baby steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's true...I promise! It's one of the features that helped make my decision to upgrade to the 5050.

Hi, I wanted to post a update regarding my attempt to on-line purchace of a Olympus C-5050 and a PT-015 housing.

The camera was ordered new from Digitialdelivered for 429.00 which included 34$ for 2 day air, pretty good right? Well three hours later I got a phone call and was told "we dont have a new camera in stock but you can get a refurbished unit and a 5yr. warranty for the same price" I am still pondering that little trick, so I decided to call Datavision and order the housing, just to save time and "cut to the chase" and no big suprise " we are going to update the web site and re-order the housings in about two week's" Ya right! So I am sitting here like a giant Octopodidae pacifica, Stewing in his cave after being flashed by a bunch of underwater crazy's

Anyway, I'm going after it again right now and I wont quit until I have satisfaction!

Get your housing from B&H or other such place! The 5 year warranty is most likely a "Mack" warranty and IMO isn't worth the paper it is written on. Think 330 for a refurb camera and add on 100 for the Mack warranty (usual kind of price)...they make a lot of money on those warranties. I did buy one once, my momentary hesitation reduced the cost from 190 to 90!

Dr.S.. The 5 year warranty is most likely a "Mack" warranty and IMO isn't worth the paper it is written on. Think 330 for a refurb camera and add on 100 for the Mack warranty (usual kind of price)

I called Digital delivered back about ten minutes after I made the last post. I ended up buying a refurbished C-5050 for 355.00 a spare battery for 19.00 and I got the 5 year warranty for 59 buck's. I have never purchased anything, well any electronic device anyway that was refurbished. I feel like I just just through the dice down the table and haven't heard the call yet! But I do have a camera coming, and it will be here in time to make next week's trip to Yellowstone park. I will try the panorama mode at the Canyon fall's site and of course at Oldfaithfull geyser.

That said you think I should scrap the warrant If I still can?

Is the warranty with Olympus? If not, i doubt it's worth the paper it's xeroxed on.

If the camera was refurbed at/by Olympus, you're OK. Alot of folks have bought refurbs and have been totally happy. Some even prefer the refurbs.

I bought Beasts 5050 from Buydig. great experience. New, in the box with all accessories. No pressure to buy extras, no mysterious back orders, etc. I got it in 5 days with regular shipping.

I purchased a new C-5050 (as a backup) from buydig.com for $428 (including shipping) about a month ago. I'd suggest at least a 512mb CompactFlash. I use a 1gb Ridata CF and a 512mb x/D Picture Card so that I can start shooting in RAW instead of SHQ.

The Inon D-180, with the "clear photo" system worked very well for me, but I'm having to switch to two Z-220s strobes because my new Tetra 5050 housing isn't compatible with the Tetra ROC electronics. (It's for sale on the DDN website or through Underwater Camera Pros) The Inon ULW-100 is a great wide angle lens.

Thank's to everyone for their input, I should know better than to get pulled into a second party insurance policy. The camera is refurbished by Olympus, well at least the web site say's it's factory refurbished. I think you folk's are correct I'll tell them to scrap the 59$ warranty, I can then use the money for the Inon wide angle len's.

On that note, Inon I have seen two web sites the Japanese and the English site and I have heard talk and visited the site underwaterdigital camera,Is this the best price to purchase Inon len's and strobes. I notice that the price is better than the Inon English version site, also do the product's from underwaterdigital carry the full waranty?

Back
Top Bottom