Trip Report Back from our first visit to Cayman Brac.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The why:
For a solid decade, Cozumel has been the go -to dive destination for our October vacation. My husband wanted to try somewhere new. I was initially reluctant since Cozumel is my favorite place to dive. After hearing the news that my favorite dive sites in Cozumel were off limits to divers, I felt we made the right decision in trying somewhere new. We were torn between Turks and Caicos, Belize and Cayman Brac. Since Cayman Brac offered shore diving, it offered the best balance for our diving preferences.

The How:
The traveling logistics were more complex than figuring out a Rubik’s Cube. We booked outgoing flights: St. Louis -Miami on AA. Miami directly into Cayman Brac on Cayman Airways. Returning flights were more arduous. We flew Cayman Brac to Grand Cayman on Cayman Airlines. Switched to Southwest Airlines from Grand Cayman to Fort Lauderdale (dumpy airport but less hectic than Miami) to St. Louis. Cayman Airways ran at least a good hour late on each leg. It was not a big deal for us since we had a long layover in Grand Cayman.

The Where:
I am not a big fan on doing all inclusive resorts. We booked a condo unit at Caribbean Beach Village in the West End. I will admit that I was apprehensive about this unit because it was sold to another owner just prior to our arrival. Fortunately, the unit surpassed our expectations. I am a light sleeper. This unit was by far the most peaceful place I have stayed. There as no noise from clubs, cars or roosters. While being close to the airport, the noise was minimal and during civilized hours. The beach directly in front of condo was not ideal for swimming, but next door is the Carib Sands Resort. We used their dock for boat pick up. While we didn’t do any snorkeling, I heard from others that the area around the pier offered some very good snorkeling.

Across the parking lot from the Caribbean Beach Village is the restaurant and bar ‘The Captain’s Table’. We did venture to some other (very few and limited) restaurants, but always gravitated back to The Captain’s Table. Drinks were fresh and reasonably priced, and the food was excellent. The menu offered a lot of food options and every day, their specials changed. Their taco night was my favorite. I am picky about Mexican food, so many places gringo down their spice and serve up a bland version of Mexican food; however, these tacos were delicious. The food never became repetitive.

The Who:
We booked our dives with Brac Scuba Shack. I was very satisfied with this choice. We never had more than 7 divers on the boat, and there were a few dives with only three divers. Liesel was great at communicating and setting up our dives. Captain Stuart was a seasoned professional. He made sure to find a calm area in the occasional rough seas to spend our surface interval. He was always helpful with setting up, donning and removing our gear. Our dive master Steiner has an amazing gift of finding the most obscure and camouflaged macro life. Some of the critters were literally smaller than a pencil eraser. Tanks were consistently filled at or above 3000 psi. No issues with O ring leaks. They were a well-run, professional and a very personable dive operation.

The What:
We did four days of two tank boat dives. We did two days of two tank shore dives. I was glad we did the Tibbet’s wreck as a boat dive. It would have been an arduous swim from shore. I am not a big fan of wreck dives, and do not feel comfortable diving an overhead environment. However, I enjoyed swimming around the wreck and the reefs around the wreck is where I saw eagle rays and turtles. One dive was at Tombstone Reef. In the distance was a squadron of four eagle rays. They were too far away to photograph.

The shore dives were well marked with signs. Our condo rental had a shore diving guide booklet which proved very helpful. The entrances were unlike any other place that I have shore dived. I am accustomed to navigating jagged rocks, slippery surfaces and iron shore. Here, the iron shore had cutouts with ladders and gentle entrances. Many of the areas actually had an area for swimming/snorkeling with a narrower mouth to the open sea. We were there during low season. We never came across other divers or boats. Unlike Bonaire or Curacao, there is no evidence of broken glass or other ominous signs around parked cars.

I enjoyed swimming around the Atlantis Sculpture Garden at Radar Reef. My husband was getting antsy for me to move along. Just past the sculptures, we spotted an eagle ray foraging in the sand. I was able to get fairly close. When I turned around there was a barracuda approaching me. I though it was just another of several that I saw in Brac. I decided to take some video of the guy. He went from curious to downright dickish. He was posturing and made several fast, close passes. I tucked away my camera and my husband and I stayed side by side. He must have menaced us for a good 10 minutes before swimming away.

Handcuff Reef is another dream shore entry. The swim out to the reef was about 5 minutes. The size and number of towering barrel sponges was unlike anything that I have seen. The hard corals are more of a spur and groove formation which makes for an interesting variety of critters. After our dive, we ordered some meat patties from Pioneer Bakery. They were delish! I wish we ordered some more to stash in the condo.

The Verdict:
Cayman Brac does not have the number or abundance of marine life that I have seen in Bonaire, Curacao or Cozumel. However, I thought the diving was more interesting and richer in marine life than Grand Cayman, St. Croix or Roatan. On other dive vacations I feel lucky to have one eagle ray encounter. In Cayman Brac, we saw an eagle ray every day!

I feel Cayman Brac has tremendous potential as a prime shore diving destination. Being in our 50’s, the easy entries and areas to gear up were a bonus. I am not sure why the island dive operations do not allow divers to take two tanks at a time. When shore diving, we typically head one direction, take surface interval, snack and for second dive head in the opposite direction. Returning to dive shop for the second tank is not isolated to an issue of time, but I do not like getting into a car wet more than absolutely necessary.

The people in Cayman Brac were incredibly friendly and easy going. It was such a refreshing change to visit a Caribbean destination where the presence of garbage, homes with bars on the windows, time share/store hawkers, stray dogs or broken glass in parking areas is not prevalent. The people take a lot of pride in their island which is clearly evident when exploring the island.

No trip report of mine is complete without some amateur video footage:wink:

Thank you for the excellent, detailed report and the beautiful video! We've never made it to Radar Reef and Atlantis and I would really like to see it some day.

I keep hearing tantalizing references to Brac as a shore diving destination but I've rarely read much about it so it is great to learn about your positive experiences.

I've recently started seeing ads for Cayman Brac Beach Resort that include "unlimited tanks for shore diving (must rent car no shore diving at hotel)". And I think that's new, they didn't advertise shore diving in the past.

How were the grocery stores? We often hear that the availability of fresh foods is limited and depends on the weekly arrival of the supply barge - what were your experiences?

I think that Brac is really an interesting and beautiful island with its' dramatic bluff rising above the sea, and the caves and sea birds and iguanas.

So glad that you had a great trip, thanks for sharing!

Cayman Airways ran at least a good hour late on each leg.
Wow. If that's common with them, it'd be good to know for trip planning logistics.
We booked a condo unit at Caribbean Beach Village in the West End.
Never heard of them. Glad to hear of an option for people who are more into that type of offering; did you find them via VRBO, AirBnB or something else? I've never booked through such, so no experience.
We booked our dives with Brac Scuba Shack.
They seem to be the name I see most when shore diving Cayman Brac comes up.

I wonder how your total trip costs would compare with someone who did a same length trip at Cayman Brac Beach Resort? That seems to be the most cited place when people speak of trip reports on the forum. If all-inclusive food is good, it can be a load off the mind to have the trip already paid for, but some prefer the ala cart approach.
The shore dives were well marked with signs.

The entrances were unlike any other place that I have shore dived. I am accustomed to navigating jagged rocks, slippery surfaces and iron shore.
Very glad to see the info. on shore diving Brac. I've historically figured it was probably more difficult entry/exit than Bonaire, and that even if I went I'd be leery of trying it. What you describe sounds great. Wonder how many such 'easy' shore diving sites there are to choose from?
I've recently started seeing ads for Cayman Brac Beach Resort that include "unlimited tanks for shore diving (must rent car no shore diving at hotel)". And I think that's new, they didn't advertise shore diving in the past.
Years ago, PADI seemed solidly against solo diving. Then SDI offered a solo course, which I took. I suspect PADI's lack of such a course may've put PADI in a position where 'Offer a course, or your customers will start noticing they've got options...for more than the solo course!' They tried to have their cake & eat it, too, with the PADI Self-reliant Diver course,

I wonder if Brac Scuba Shack's offering tank rental for shore diving is creating some competitive pressure on CBBR? Previously, had I been planning a Brac trip, I'd have just gone with CBBR for the same reason I'd probably pick LCBR for Little Cayman; it's the most cited option in trip reports, and both get really good reviews.

But I like shore diving. Haven't been to Brac yet, but that put Brac Scuba Shack on my radar.

Cayman Brac does not have the number or abundance of marine life that I have seen in Bonaire,
That surprises me. I found Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall/Jackson Bight area beautiful, lush reef via live-aboard; I saw some big grouper, and basically more 'big stuff' than typical for my Bonaire trips (which did have more big barracuda and daytime tarpon this last trip). What did you think of the lushness of the shore dives at Brac?

For that matter, was the reef you saw shore diving Brac similar to what you saw boat diving? I ask because in Bonaire it's often similar.

Really good report!

Wonderful, thanks!

I'm curious about the statues. What are the people supposed to be cuz they look like Eskimos. Ha

Wow. If that's common with them, it'd be good to know for trip planning logistics.

Never heard of them. Glad to hear of an option for people who are more into that type of offering; did you find them via VRBO, AirBnB or something else? I've never booked through such, so no experience.

They seem to be the name I see most when shore diving Cayman Brac comes up.

I wonder how your total trip costs would compare with someone who did a same length trip at Cayman Brac Beach Resort? That seems to be the most cited place when people speak of trip reports on the forum. If all-inclusive food is good, it can be a load off the mind to have the trip already paid for, but some prefer the ala cart approach.

Very glad to see the info. on shore diving Brac. I've historically figured it was probably more difficult entry/exit than Bonaire, and that even if I went I'd be leery of trying it. What you describe sounds great. Wonder how many such 'easy' shore diving sites there are to choose from?

Years ago, PADI seemed solidly against solo diving. Then SDI offered a solo course, which I took. I suspect PADI's lack of such a course may've put PADI in a position where 'Offer a course, or your customers will start noticing they've got options...for more than the solo course!' They tried to have their cake & eat it, too, with the PADI Self-reliant Diver course,

I wonder if Brac Scuba Shack's offering tank rental for shore diving is creating some competitive pressure on CBBR? Previously, had I been planning a Brac trip, I'd have just gone with CBBR for the same reason I'd probably pick LCBR for Little Cayman; it's the most cited option in trip reports, and both get really good reviews.

But I like shore diving. Haven't been to Brac yet, but that put Brac Scuba Shack on my radar.

That surprises me. I found Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall/Jackson Bight area beautiful, lush reef via live-aboard; I saw some big grouper, and basically more 'big stuff' than typical for my Bonaire trips (which did have more big barracuda and daytime tarpon this last trip). What did you think of the lushness of the shore dives at Brac?

For that matter, was the reef you saw shore diving Brac similar to what you saw boat diving? I ask because in Bonaire it's often similar.

Really good report!

I have also seen Brac Scuba Shack mentioned more frequently than Reef Divers in regards to shore diving on Brac, but in the post at the link below @divezonescuba says that his group rented tanks for shore diving from Reef Divers because they would let each of them take 2 tanks at a time and the dive op was open for business for longer hours than BSS:

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7755441/

I agree that the reason that CBBR is now advertising unlimited tanks for shore diving could be because BSS has been promoting shore diving and the Clearly Cayman resort guests may have started asking for it.

Wonderful, thanks!

I'm curious about the statues. What are the people supposed to be cuz they look like Eskimos. Ha

Here's a video of Atlantis, I have never dived the site but I would like to someday; it's near a dive site called Radar Reef.

Atlantis was created by an eccentric local artist that calls himself "Foots". The statues represent Elders and Sentinels guarding Atlantis and the artist copied the images of prominent Caymanians (like the now deceased Bob Soto) on the faces of some the statues.

Foots is a controversial fellow and not too popular with some of the Brackers (Brac locals). A few years ago he created some large statues of partially-clad women (allegedly engaged in same-sex romantic poses) and erected them prominently on his property in clear view of the road.

Cayman is a conservative country and some of the Brackers were outraged. They vandalized the statues but he refused to remove them. At one point he was arrested for obscenity but the courts let him go.

Artist charged over controversial work - Cayman Islands Headline News

Thanks for the great report.

I will be on Brac Dec 28- Jan 4, staying at the Brac Beach Resort, and your report has encouraged my excitement further!

As a longtime fan of Cayman Brac shore diving, I will reply with my biased views. Dive shops are supposed to limit divers to one rental tank at a time unless supervised on a boat or in a class. This is a governmental regulation that is supposed to prevent uncertified people from diving.

IMHO Brac Scuba Shack is more “shore diver” friendly. This maybe due to not being attached to a resort or being a smaller op or whatever. Regardless of the reason, they are my go to op and have always treated my family, friends and myself very well. Very professional staff and operation.

A car is a must for shore diving in the Brac. For us this is not an issue as we almost always stay at a VRBO on the north side in West End.

As far as infrastructure goes, there’s one resort, two gas stations, two dive ops, three decent grocery stores, about four or five bars, seven or eight places to eat, one really great bakery (Pioneer Bakery) and about forty churches.

Most of the shore diving is done on the north side with the sites marked Bonaire style. As mentioned, several sites have ladders or boat ramps for easy entry/exit. Unlike Bonaire,Vehicles are left unlocked with the keys left in them as you dive. Nobody bothers your stuff. Ironshore is around almost all dive site, so hard soled booties are really useful. Structure is usually hardpan out to about to 20-25 feet depth and then finger and groves type Reef or a mini wall with a large sandy flat are before coming to the main wall. Currents are usually slight to none. Depths run at 60 or less, so dive times tend to be about an hour. Atlantis and the Russian Frigate are doable from shore if you don’t mind the swim. You must carry a dive flag or marker. Several sites such as Handcuff, Radar(Dolphin and Ray sculpture side) and Scott’s Dock are great night dives. Tank rental runs about $10US for air and $12US for Nitrox.

Diving is not perfect here as there are issues. There is not a large population of big things, sharks are few, turtles are on the small size and there are fewer grouper than in Little Cayman. The latter has been confirmed by the DOE through the use of tracking to count the grouper population. Diving is better in Little Cayman. Since we were down in July, the coral appears to be stressed with bleaching present. Water temperatures have been recorded as high as 87. Visibility can decrease due to rainfall or rough seas.

Depending on where you stay accommodations start around $1000US per week and go to about $2500US per week depending on law or high season.

As KathyV has mentioned, the locals are friendly, crime is low, but like most islands gas and groceries are not cheap. Because I am thrifty or as my family and friends say, cheap, I pack coffee, peanut butter, tequila and other snacks down with me.

The Brac is not for everyone. If you don’t like the quiet or chickens or iguanas this place is not for you. If you need variety of shops and stores and restaurants, this place is not for you. If you need Fox News or CNN or daily newspapers, this place is not for you. If you would like a place to unwind, do a few easy dives a day, maybe go rock climbing, read a book or listen to music or just chill, have a drink and stare at the ocean, then the Brac might be your place.

Apologies for being long winded and hijacking the thread, but I do get excited about the place. Safe diving to all

As a longtime fan of Cayman Brac shore diving, I will reply with my biased views. Dive shops are supposed to limit divers to one rental tank at a time unless supervised on a boat or in a class. This is a governmental regulation that is supposed to prevent uncertified people from diving.

IMHO Brac Scuba Shack is more “shore diver” friendly. This maybe due to not being attached to a resort or being a smaller op or whatever. Regardless of the reason, they are my go to op and have always treated my family, friends and myself very well. Very professional staff and operation.

A car is a must for shore diving in the Brac. For us this is not an issue as we almost always stay at a VRBO on the north side in West End.

As far as infrastructure goes, there’s one resort, two gas stations, two dive ops, three decent grocery stores, about four or five bars, seven or eight places to eat, one really great bakery (Pioneer Bakery) and about forty churches.

Most of the shore diving is done on the north side with the sites marked Bonaire style. As mentioned, several sites have ladders or boat ramps for easy entry/exit. Unlike Bonaire,Vehicles are left unlocked with the keys left in them as you dive. Nobody bothers your stuff. Ironshore is around almost all dive site, so hard soled booties are really useful. Structure is usually hardpan out to about to 20-25 feet depth and then finger and groves type Reef or a mini wall with a large sandy flat are before coming to the main wall. Currents are usually slight to none. Depths run at 60 or less, so dive times tend to be about an hour. Atlantis and the Russian Frigate are doable from shore if you don’t mind the swim. You must carry a dive flag or marker. Several sites such as Handcuff, Radar(Dolphin and Ray sculpture side) and Scott’s Dock are great night dives. Tank rental runs about $10US for air and $12US for Nitrox.

Diving is not perfect here as there are issues. There is not a large population of big things, sharks are few, turtles are on the small size and there are fewer grouper than in Little Cayman. The latter has been confirmed by the DOE through the use of tracking to count the grouper population. Diving is better in Little Cayman. Since we were down in July, the coral appears to be stressed with bleaching present. Water temperatures have been recorded as high as 87. Visibility can decrease due to rainfall or rough seas.

Depending on where you stay accommodations start around $1000US per week and go to about $2500US per week depending on law or high season.

As KathyV has mentioned, the locals are friendly, crime is low, but like most islands gas and groceries are not cheap. Because I am thrifty or as my family and friends say, cheap, I pack coffee, peanut butter, tequila and other snacks down with me.

The Brac is not for everyone. If you don’t like the quiet or chickens or iguanas this place is not for you. If you need variety of shops and stores and restaurants, this place is not for you. If you need Fox News or CNN or daily newspapers, this place is not for you. If you would like a place to unwind, do a few easy dives a day, maybe go rock climbing, read a book or listen to music or just chill, have a drink and stare at the ocean, then the Brac might be your place.

Apologies for being long winded and hijacking the thread, but I do get excited about the place. Safe diving to all

Thanks so much for providing all this detail, this is great information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom