Back inflate BCD as a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with a vest style BCD during my open water training, and then tried a back inflate style after. It's definitely different, but I found that it really helped my position and trim in the water. At the surface I have the same issue sometimes with it wanting to push me forward. Based on the other comments I will definitely try some different inflation levels, but mostly I found I just needed to lean back a bit more than the vest style and I was fine. I actually find it much more comfortable.

Buy the Zeagle! I have the Zeagle Zena and love it. Add a crotch strap and it will be even better!

as an addition, tank band weight pockets can be added if you find yourself feet heavy. I dive a Stiletto and 2-3 lbs on the top band works perfectly to get me trimmed. AFA keeping your head up at the surface - I fully inflate and lean back putting the bladder completely under me - never had an issue with getting pitched face down. Ranger is a lot of BC with lots of lift - You got a great price on it. That extra 9 lbs of lift may make it a bit more of a challenge but once it's under you it shouldn't be that hard to control and a non-issue

Whatever you have you probably won't be satisfied, because you requirements and ambitions change. At first I was quite happy with ill fitting rental gear, It was great being able to dive at all even down to just 6 or 7m with a guide. Then I wanted something more comfortable, better fitting and mine so I did not waste part of the dive getting used to the gear or guessing weights. Then I wanted more diving without a guide so I did Ow to dive with friends and go down to 18m Having done that I realised I now wanted to go deeper than 18m to look at wrecks so I took deep diving qualification (40m). I then found my BCD and single tank set up was not a ideal as a compact BP&W with twins. I have not changed to BP&W/twins yet because I now realize I cant stay down long enough on tanks and a CCR would be better. If I ended up with CCR & trimix I would probably get bored on the decompression stops and want a diving bell with canteen and TV.

Back inflates are fine if you are weighted correctly too much weight will tip you forward

Surfacing after a dive one can add air in a controlled manner in order to prevent the face plant. How do you guestimate the amount of air needed before jumping off a dive boat?

I have a back inflate (Scubapro Nighthawk). You will learn the quirks of your gear, so there really isn’t a lot of difference if you are a new diver. Zeagle Ranger has an excellent rep, so you will probably get a ton of use out of it. The only transitional problem is to learn not to over inflate it on the surface (most people who don’t like back inflates are over inflating it on the surface and complain it pitches them forward).

The only transitional problem is to learn not to over inflate it on the surface (most people who don’t like back inflates are over inflating it on the surface and complain it pitches them forward).
Very good point! In addition to the already mentioned issue of over-weighting, AND the unfortunate placement of the weight in a number of weight-integrated BCDs (in front of the diver's vertical midline, when viewed from the side), there is a tendency, particularly in newer divers, to want to add too much air at the surface, in order to ride higher in the water than is necessary. At the surface, you really need enough air to have your head above the surface, you don't need to have your upper body above the surface. :)

Hey everyone,

I got my OW certification recently so I'm obviously still a beginner. I've heard both sides of the get-your-own-gear-right-away argument and was going to wait a bit to get a BCD. However, I recently was offered a great deal on what seems to be a great back inflate BCD used (Zeagle Ranger). Do you guys think I should go for it, or wait until I've dived more? I like the ripcord weight system but I'm still very new to back inflate BCDs and am worried it's not the style I'll end up liking. Thanks in advance!
I started with a DACOR jacket BC, but after I switched to a back mount, I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I would never go back to a jacket BC. My first back mount was an aluminum plate, to which I added my own webbing to, and a DiveRite JR wing I purchased from the local dive shop. It worked great and was low cost and easy to put together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom