Back Surgery and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schmanch

Old Member Low post count
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to undergo back surgery for a herniated disk. The doctor told me that this procedure is fairly “routine”, and that it would be out patient surgery, meaning I would go home that night. My recovery period for returning to work will be 2 – 3 weeks. Assuming I give my body enough time to heal, (long enough to carry the weight of my SCUBA equiptment), am I at an increased risk of DCS? If so what if anything can I do about this? How long should I weight.

Schmanch

I'm sure Doctor Deco will chime in soon enough, but another source is to call DAN (Diver's Alert Network) which is one of the best resources for information such as this. The phone number for non-ermergency dive medical questions is 1-919-684-2948.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Herniated discs that have been operated upon and completely healed generally are thought not to impose any restrictions on diving. However, there is the theoretical caveat that there is an increased risk of bubble formation in regions of bone where there has been some disruption of blood supply - leaving an increased or decreased vascularity. There have been no studies to prove or disprove these cautionaries, however.

In addition, you would be wise to have your neurological examination carefully recorded for the possibility of deficits - and have this with you on your dives for comparison reference in case of a decompression accident.

Return to diving is generally allowed after all skin incisions are completely healed, you have been fully rehabilitated and are back to your usual physical strength. Of course, this should be coordinated with your surgeon's advice, but is usually in 4-6 weeks postoperative.

Scubadoc, your mention of keeping the records at hand made me think of a good question.

If it is within DAN's pervue, would/should you provide information to their database regarding the surgery (such as type, date, doctor, hospital, etc) so that if they were consulted for a diving accident, the info was readily available in their databases?

I hope it goes O.K. and just in case....What size are you?
Are you 6ft with size 11 feet? I'm just asking....no particular reason...lol.Do you need someone to look after your dive gear?
Cheers Ears,
The Gasman

Thanks for the offer for my gears sake!

If you see Mrs. Schmanch selling a whole bunch of diveing equiptment on ebay you will know I didn't make it.

Schmanch

I had two laminectomies in (1991 and 1992) and have logged abt 250 dives since. The only caution I would suggest is for the first six months to a year(after your doc has cleared you) pop off your tank and BC and drag them in separately if the boat is pitching at all or if there are any waves on shore. Your lifting capacity and ability to handle a sudden jerk or knockdown don't become completely normal for a while. Don't risk reinjury too soon.

Dive safe and often. (you will really appreciate zero G in the water for a couple years afterward.. not that I had a lot of pain in recovery, but the floating sensation was GREAT)

John Reinertson

I had a discectomy at L 4-5 4yrs. ago and microlaminectomy L-5 S-1 3 1/2 years ago. My advice is to follow your rehab instructions to the letter and allow yourself the time your body needs to heal. I now run 15 to 20 miles a week, mountain bike twice a week in the spring, summer and fall, crosscounty ski, and of course fresh and saltwater dive whenever possible. I will also add that I am a 45 year young female. I do watch my lifting and a call my husband "my diving packmule", but generally I feel 99% back to normal and am living life to its fullest. I agree get your physicians ok for whatever sport you return to and it is also a good idea to tell your surgeon all about you presurgery life style.

All my best for a speedy complete recovery with lots of diving in your future.

Laine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom