Back Up PDC - holder only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you made a good choice. I have a BUD for a backup. My primary is also an Oceanic computer so the 2 pretty much agree with each other all the time.

My primary is also an Oceanic. A VEO 2.0. I'm diving on a live aboard next month (my first!) so I got certified for nitrox. My old computer was air only so I decided to do it right with the BUD instead of using the air only computer for a backup. The rules on the boat are if your computer fails and you don't have a back up, you can't dive for 24 hrs. Diving 5x per day, that's a lot of dive time to lose.

My primary is also an Oceanic. A VEO 2.0. I'm diving on a live aboard next month (my first!) so I got certified for nitrox. My old computer was air only so I decided to do it right with the BUD instead of using the air only computer for a backup. The rules on the boat are if your computer fails and you don't have a back up, you can't dive for 24 hrs. Diving 5x per day, that's a lot of dive time to lose.

That is the whole reason for a backup as far as I am concerned. It should match up with your primary computer for dive time etc and will work if you are on an expensive dive trip. Seems like a small price to pay to save a day of diving in (or on) paradise.

Exactly. Mine went down in Fiji. Not exactly an easy place to just go back to, and not one I'd want to just skip dives at. A backup computer is cheap insurance when you cannot dive without one.

Back
Top Bottom