Back-Up Torches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupert Vidion

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Is there any reason why either the Tektite Excursion or Explorer torches would not be DIR compliant? They run on C-cells, are machined from a single piece of material, have a twist on/off action, sufficient depth rating. Apart from being made of aluminium instead of Delrin they appear essentially identical to the Halcyon LED offerings. Also, does a torch have to be twist on/off or are magnetic (i.e. does not pierce case) slider switches acceptable under DIR?

Cheers,

Rupert

P.S. Is there an official, consistent, GUE list somewhere of items like this that are or are not compliant? I can't find anything in the members section of GUE.com.

Hi,

I have seen that list before but thanks for putting the link up. What you say about Delrin versus aluminium is interesting and something I had not considered (or heard of).

What I am looking for is a specific and GUE endorsed list of products which are or are not compliant with DIR principles and practice. I am not sure if such a thing exist but it would be useful if it did.

From reading "DIR: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" the only requirements of a back-up torch are that they run on C-cell batteries and burn for a time equivalent to total bottom. There are no direct prohibitions on using magnetic switches or materials other than delrin in the book.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Rupert

What I am looking for is a specific and GUE endorsed list of products which are or are not compliant with DIR principles and practice. I am not sure if such a thing exist but it would be useful if it did.

To my knowledge, that does not exist. If it did, it would probably raise a stink.

Tom

Switches get bumped into an on position much easier than twisting a bezel, plus, its a moving part to break/jam/not work. Your backup lights are real important.

Scout style lights (take your pick of brand) have been used worldwide in very extreme conditions and have proved reliable, which is the name of the game in anything 'backup.'

Hi,

Hi Rupert:

Having just completed GUE Fundamentals myself and this past weekend, I can tell you that my instructor NEVER EVER recommended a particular brand that was DIR; he did mention Poseidon as far as regulators and the problems associated with some of them if they failed but other than that he kept the equipment discussion generic and as pertaining to GUE. And actually, IIRC, he never even mentioned the phrase DIR (but his secret student folder tab was labeled, yep- DIRF! :crafty:)

He did stress simplicity and reliability and in this case replaceable battery power, simple construction, minimal parts, and twist on/off activation. Scouts and the such fit the bill perfectly. Funny though, the only thing to give me a problem during my class: my Halcyon Scout. I twisted the rubber bezel right off the plastic lens during an equipment check but the light still worked. I just found it ironic really as I only have three Halcyon products and the other two being wetsuit pockets. Anyway I switched it out with a clone and problem solved. Yesterday I emailed Halcyon about the issue and today I got a satisfactory response, so another problem solved!

I also asked my instructor what was his take on the LED versus halogen on backup lights and he explained that he carried one of each. The LED while being brighter and whiter, was a non-focused type of beam good for illuminating. The halogen was not as bright but with a focused beam, ideal for signaling.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

the bezel is a warranty issue
they will take care of it for you. seems to happen to them all when they get a little older
and I agree one of each is the answer. but I would go to the xenon scout first, LED second

the bezel is a warranty issue
they will take care of it for you. seems to happen to them all when they get a little older
and I agree one of each is the answer. but I would go to the xenon scout first, LED second

Yeah, I was kinda' worried because it was an older Scout and the receipt was long gone. I figured, hey, it wouldn't hurt to ask. It was indeed very painless and I am a happy someone. :D

One other potential issue with aluminum is oxidation, which could cause the threads to seize. Obviously that's more of a concern in salt water, but still something to think about. Also there is the possibility of galvanic action between the case and other internal metal parts, particularly anything copper.

I twisted the rubber bezel right off the plastic lens during an equipment check but the light still worked.

You just don't know your own strength! :D
I'm glad Halcyon is taking care of his for you. I've seen it happen on one or two of them before.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom