Backpacking through Europe with BP/W & Camera Gear - Need Gear Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgilkes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys,

I am going to be hitting a few cities throughout Europe over a 2-week span and I'm looking for good bags to bring my dive gear, clothes and camera gear. Currently when I travel I use an Aqualung Traveler 850 and a ThinkTank International 3.0 and my equipment includes a SS BP w/23lb wing and a Nauticam A7II housing w/ 8" dome. Obviously, these aren't ideal for Europe and I'm hoping to find something in more of a backpack style.

Anyone have a similar setup they use? I found the Dive Caddy G3, but it doesn't have the greatest reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Don't. Just don't. Hauling camera and dive gear through Europe will not be fun. I'd strongly recommend renting everything but your reg. For a camera, I'd suggest something small. I did some island hopping in Greece a couple years ago. It was quite a burden.

I don't know anything about cameras, but I backpacked around Central America with a Zeagle Express Tech. The semi-flexible plastic backplate enabled it to be scrunched--almost rolled--into a backpack.

Don't. Just don't. Hauling camera and dive gear through Europe will not be fun. I'd strongly recommend renting everything but your reg. For a camera, I'd suggest something small. I did some island hopping in Greece a couple years ago. It was quite a burden.

I'm hoping to find something suitable for everything, but I know it's a lot of gear so I may just go with my reg/AI, comp and mask.

I'm hoping to find something suitable for everything, but I know it's a lot of gear so I may just go with my reg/AI, comp and mask.
I think that is a good call. I don't know your itinerary. I'd suggest putting all your stuff together and seeing what it would be like to get around like that. Maybe you'd get some strange stares doing this, but walking around your city using public transportation for an afternoon would give you a good idea. I was traveling around by bus, ferry, and moped. If you make it to Greece, here's a hint about the moped: You can play chicken with other tourists as they'll get out of your way. But not the locals. ALWAYS get out of their way (that applies to diaspora Greeks as well) or you will have a head on collision.

When I flew back from Greece (I'm half Greek btw, speak the language fairly well), I had about 75 lbs of carry on (dive gear, Aquatica housing for a Canon 5DMIII, a few ceramic souvenirs). I put the 50 lb bag next to someone sleeping while I checked in. The other 25 lb bag was over the limit, and I said that I'd take some stuff out. The woman checking me in knew I was full of it, but played along as I'm Greek. There are very good reasons why a nation full of Karagiozis is in financial trouble. This is just one indicator.

I'd suggest investing in cargo pants with big pockets and a photography vest to stuff the heaviest items for check in. Once past, put it back in your carry on.

Having backpacked through Europe in my misspent youth, I would say that you are bringing way too much stuff.

Leave the big DSLR at home because the kind of photos you'll want to take can be taken with a much smaller camera.

If you bring dive gear, focus on things that are small, light, and either expensive or problematic to rent, such a dive computer, compass, and mask.

Back
Top Bottom