Backplate for pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’m thinking of making a smaller than normal backplate for a 19 and/ or 30 cu ft pony bottle. Right now, I’m thinking this backplate will not have a bladder or be part of a BC. My objective is to make it effective, comfortable and simple as possible. Any suggestions!

I’ve not had my hands on a backplate yet and but it appears the sides of a typical backplate, that are against ones back, are angled to each other. Anyone know what that angle is or give me some idea how to decide what makes a good fitting backplate?

Any & all comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Both of my boys (14 and 10) use BPWs that I made from scratch. For the backplate, I cut outline and slots in a $5 cutting board. Dirt cheap, and very effective. I now dive a VDH plate (which is completely flat as well), but because it was gifted to me... not out of any dislike for the cutting board plates. This thread is my prototype:
Back Plate and wing..$28 dollars invested!
Near the end of the thread I posted my current template.
Respectfully,
James

Both of my boys (14 and 10) use BPWs that I made from scratch. For the backplate, I cut outline and slots in a $5 cutting board. Dirt cheap, and very effective. I now dive a VDH plate (which is completely flat as well), but because it was gifted to me... not out of any dislike for the cutting board plates. This thread is my prototype:
Back Plate and wing..$28 dollars invested!
Near the end of the thread I posted my current template.
Respectfully,
James
Thanks for sharing @James79. Since you used a flat plate, do you find the tank stays centered on your back and is as comfortable as a backplate that is not flat or contoured (angled sides)?

Thanks for sharing @James79. Since you used a flat plate, do you find the tank stays centered on your back and is as comfortable as a backplate that is not flat or contoured (angled sides)?
I wish I could give you a comparison, but I've only used flat plates.... though, I intend on trying a heat gun to bend the bottom edges of one, and will report back on how that goes.
Sorry,
James

Also, I haven't messed with bending a plate, because it is plenty comfortable as is... and stays put just fine. I do use a crotch strap, for what it's worth. Here's my youngest rocking the cutting board with a DIY wing and an old school 72;
RyanJetties8AUG20.jpg mpv-shot0004.jpg
Respectfully,
James

Also, I haven't messed with bending a plate, because it is plenty comfortable as is... and stays put just fine. I do use a crotch strap, for what it's worth. Here's my youngest rocking the cutting board with a DIY wing and an old school 72;
View attachment 604956 View attachment 604957
Respectfully,
James
Pretty cute kids... you must be a proud dad!!

View attachment 604956 View attachment 604957
Respectfully,
James
Nice boy, nice regs...

I’m thinking of making a smaller than normal backplate for a 19 and/ or 30 cu ft pony bottle. Right now, I’m thinking this backplate will not have a bladder or be part of a BC. My objective is to make it effective, comfortable and simple as possible. Any suggestions!

If you're going to go this route: Aqua Tank Back Pack with Strap I can sell you a used setup much cheaper than that.

Back
Top Bottom