backplate in carbon fiber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmagi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

does anyone know from where I can buy a back plate made in carbon fiber?

Thanks

Mario

Can I ask why you want a CF BP?

I think I've seen one used with an Inspiration rebreather

EDIT: Here it is...

Gabriele_-_Ultralight_4.jpg

You may be best off making one yourself. Raw prepreg and a vacuum bag will likely cost less than a commercial offering (if one exists).

Can I ask why you want a CF BP?

What he said. Seems like a rather odd material selection. Low density, prone to cracking (which can't be fixed), expensive, etc..

Why? If it's a weight issue, Aluminum is just as light but has much more structural rigidity. If it's a style thing, then you can get plenty of colors in backplates as well (or make your own).

Peace,
Greg

yes, I have even seen carbon fiber bibo tanks :wink:

yes the weight is the issue specially when I travel far away on plane

carbon fiber weights much less than Aluminum ! and no way you can crack it ! if its well done

anyways if someone knows of anyone selling them please let me know

thanks

I dunno those CF-wrapped tanks have really taken off :popcorn:

Where? Rebreathers, Paintball, and some commercial diving?? :confused:

Peace,
Greg

and no way you can crack it ! if its well done

nonsense.

When the tank is bolted on and you're walking to the water, the plate is in bending (I see Tobin looking at the thread, so if I'm wrong about that he can correct me :D). The compressive part of that load is taken by the resin. The bolts themselves are bearing against a hole which was drilled into the backplate (a process that could cause the fibers themselves to crack).

Can you design an appropriate backplate? Sure. Will one you buy be appropriately designed? And if so, was it built to spec? Who knows?

yes the weight is the issue specially when I travel far away on plane

carbon fiber weights much less than Aluminum !

Graphite Fiber Reinforced Plastic ("carbon fiber") in practice may give you about a 20-50% weight advantage over aluminum. But considering the low mass off Aluminum plates (mine is about .65kg, and I haven't used it in over 3 years), you aren't gaining much.

In any case, perhaps this question is better asked outside the DIR forum. Generally speaking, DIR equipment selection is based on how it performs underwater, not how convenient it is above water.

Last edited:
I was tempted to make a gold backplate as it might be a good hiding place and method of cross border transportation. Hope the TSA isn't monitoring this forum or I'll get the quadruple S treatment next time I go on vacation.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom