Backplate Pad - How to's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last year I bought second hand a backplate+wing system, complete set. I definitely do not regret it !!
It came with an Halcyon plate and its backplate pad mount. That pad is serving 2 purposes (to my understanding) - comfort and storage for a liftbag or SMB (right ?).

I'm not yet convinced on the Comfort benefit, but i have to say, I never took it off, it's missing 2 bolts (where cn we find these ?) in the middle of the plate, not a big deal.
As for the storage, I was wondering how to use it. How to fold stuff so it does not interfere and compromise the comfort ?
I'm using my rig with a drysuit (trilam) in colder months and a semi-drysuit (neoprene) in the "warmer" months.

I want to understand more how I can use it. What are you using it for, how do you fold stuff to fit inside ? Any pictures are welcome (I'm a visual person...) :)

I did a few searches in the past and honestly there was some good information but I found it did not answer my needs/questions. Maybe I did not find what was existing, so feel free to point me to the right threads if any !

Disclaimer... I'm no DIR or Tek or GUE or any of similar organizations (you guessed it, I know), but I do like some of their approach, which led me to some configuration changes in the past few months. Still working on it (as you can see).

You can buy a set of bolts from Extreme Exposure. As far as folding the lift bag, if you fold it along the long axis in a series of pleats or accordion folds to the proper width, and then fold it lengthwise in thirds, it should fit. The over pressure valve should sit down in the bend of the back plate, so it doesn't poke you in the back. Leave the strap with the bolt snap hanging out and clip the bolt snap to the rear or left side D ring on your harness, so you can pull it out.

Last edited:
You can buy a set of bolts from Extreme Exposure. As far as folding the lift bag, if you fold it along the long axis in a series of pleats or accordion folds to the proper width, and then fold it lengthwise in thirds, it should fit. The over pressure valve should sit down in the bend of the back plate, so it doesn't poke you in the back. Leave the strap with the bolt snap hanging out and clip the bolt snap to the rear or left side D ring on your harness, so you can pull it out.

Sounds good, I will need to try. Thanks for your answer !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom