Backplate questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just have a few questions about your SS back plate.

What size are the holes for doubles bands?

What grade of SS.

Why do they have four cam band slots in each spot?

Are the edges rough or finished?

Thanks
Phil

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bueller.........Bueller...........Bueller

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:wink:Sorry for the delay. i got in a 40 HQ container today of goods...fun unloading!:D

I want to be straightforward, the backplate isn't my design. In fact I get it from a LARGE OEM company that makes goods for a WIDE variety of the big and not so big names in the industry. I have some plate ideas but they are back burner because I have other cool products that will deliver more bang for the buck (real use to a diver) than another plate design at this time.

I've had plates these folks have made for a while now in my personal inventory of kit and they have held up VERY well. I have assumed they are made of 312 SS, I will confirm and let you all know. They sure haven't rusted...and I don't really wash my gear and it lives in Georgia....

The extra slots you asked about I have only seen used in a side mount rig. Before anybody asks, NO..at this time I am not planning to market a side mount rig:wink:

The finish is solid, not jewelery level by any means. The slots are not sharp like my 2000 Halcyon plate that was a real webbing knife (but their current plates are a thing of beauty...with a thing of beauty price tag! ), but not the most rounded I have seen.

In short it is a solid and excellent piece of kit, without the frill and usual accompanying high price(mirror polish, laser etched branding etc.) It is also a HUGE bargain.

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
:wink:Sorry for the delay. i got in a 40 HQ conatiner today of goods...fun unloading!:D

I want to be straitforward, the backplate isn't my design. In fact I get it from a LARGE OEM company that makes goods for a WIDE variety of the big and not so big names in the industry. I have some plate ideas but they are back burner because I have other cool products that will deliver more bang for the buck (real use to a diver) than another plate design at this time.

I've had plates these folks have made for a while now in my personal inventory of kit and they have held up VERY well. I have assumed they are made of 312 SS, I will confirm and let you all know. They sure haven't rusted...and I don't really wash my gear and it lives in Georgia....

The extra slots you asked about I have only seen used in a side mount rig. Before anybody asks, NO..at this time I am not planning to market a side mount rig:wink:

The finish is solid, not jewlery level by any means. The slots are not sharp like my 2000 Halcyon plate that was a real webbing knife (but their current plates are a thing of beauty...with a thing of beauty price tag! ), but not the most rounded I have seen.

In short it is a solid and excellent piece of kit, without the frill and usual accompanying high price(mirroe polish, laser etched branding etc.) It is also a HUGE bargain.

Best,

Chris

Cool, thanks for the reply...

Do you know if a 3/8 bolt will fit through the center bolt holes. In my HammerHead plate I had to drill them out for my doubles, because they would only fit the 5/16 bolts from my STA, and not the 3/8 bolt from my doubles bands.

I do not care about mirror finish or lazer etching. Not for a piece of steel plating that is going on my back. I like simple and inexpensive.

Thanks
Phil

Any word on the type of SS used for the plate or on the size of the center bolt holes?

Thanks
Phil

:wink:Sorry for the delay. i got in a 40 HQ container today of goods...fun unloading!:D

I want to be straightforward, the backplate isn't my design. In fact I get it from a LARGE OEM company that makes goods for a WIDE variety of the big and not so big names in the industry. I have some plate ideas but they are back burner because I have other cool products that will deliver more bang for the buck (real use to a diver) than another plate design at this time.

The finish is solid, not jewelery level by any means. The slots are not sharp like my 2000 Halcyon plate that was a real webbing knife (but their current plates are a thing of beauty...with a thing of beauty price tag! ), but not the most rounded I have seen.

In short it is a solid and excellent piece of kit, without the frill and usual accompanying high price(mirror polish, laser etched branding etc.) It is also a HUGE bargain.

Best,

Chris

We have seen Chris on the board. I like his way of business, straitforward and honest on his products.

When I saw the EDGE BP, I immediately noticed that it is the same one from the Sea Elite BP (made in Asia).

SEE0029-2T.jpg

As an average Joe diver, we have felt that BP/W price is too much overinflated in the market in the name of NICHE item.

I look forward to seeing that EDGE will bring a quality product in the competitive price. :lotsalove:

I am not at all disputing the fact that they are at a great price because I think that they are. My main curiosity is about the material and bolt hole size. I currently have a Hammerhead BP and I love the fact that it is 316 SS, but I did not like the fact that I had to drill out the center holes because it would not fit the 3/8 bolt from my doubles bands.

Phil

Hey Phil, I'll double check my Edge plate I got from Chris when I get home tonight, but I would say I am 99.999% certain a 3/8" bolt will fit through with absolutely no issues.

Hey guys, sorry that I haven't gotten back quicker... It has been a heck of a last couple weeks. Plus I had a 40 ft container of product arrive Thursday and another container for my West Coast warehouse/distributer get "misplaced"

We had the Tornadoes in central Georgia that left behind no power for three days, then on the weekend I was at the Georgia Dive show.

The "Sea Elite" BP with Harness shown above was actually brought in by EDGE..... I ordered 50 of them for EDGE/HOG and didn't specify that I wanted black anodized alum, so I got a pretty blue.... That isn't what I wanted so as a result I asked Divers Supply if they could "move" them for me. They have been trying. If anybody wants a great deal on the blue plate with basic HOG harness let me know....:eyebrow:

I will be offering a HOG Harness very soon with some really neat features that allow it to remain very true to Hogarthian style philosophy yet adds ease of function and use without any additional complexity or failure points. It will also be a great deal!

The holes are 10mm, 3/8 will fit no problem.

I still haven't heard from the factory what grade of SS they are using, I normally get in touch with them every day via Skype, but between my busy and theirs we haven't connected. I need to now email them and just get the answer! Regardless of grade, I will replace the SS backplate if it ever rusts.

By the way the Stainless Steel Plate has less of a angle of bend than the Alum plates I have. While the alum plate works fine I prefer the angle used on the SS plate.

I just got one of the blue Al plates from Chris, with a harness. I'm pleased with it, it's a nice backplate, no complaints so far. I did notice that it had a little more bend to it than my SS DR plate does. Still fits nice tho.

Thanks for the great deal and service Chris,

Jim

Back
Top Bottom