Backplates for indepdent BM doubles (and maybe single-tank)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering trying out independent back-mount doubles and am looking for a good mounting solution.

I'm aware of the various bolt-on cam-band adapters that have central blocks like the DiveRite Remora and Aqua Explorers Ultimate Velcro Double Bands (Ultimate Velcro Double Bands Reviews and News by Capt. Dan Berg). If I run across a set at a reasonable price, I may pick them up.

But I am also wondering if some of the "standard" backplates support 2 sets of cambands. Ex. The HOG plate has Inner and outer slots at the top and bottom camband positions. Is this for un-banded doubles and does it work well?
HOG0092-B.jpg

Assuming this is for doubles with dual camband sets, does anyone know of a plate that has both the dual camband slots AND a reverse center channel for an integral single-tank stabilizer (like that of the reverse-profile Golem Gear Stream)?
243.jpg

A combination plate made from AL would be awesome travel plate.

Thanks!

I dont think your problem is as complex as you think. if you have a standard back plate it will handle single or twins. No difference whether independant or manifolded. The tank STA in many wings is part of the wing so there is no STA to loose or install. I would be glad to give you some links if needed. yOUR picture shows both pates to accomodate multiple tank bands. The idea of an AL plate is alluring for shipping reasons but if you are going from fresh to salt water then the plate becomes a significant part of your weighting. More plate less lead. That said steel may be a better choice. what the material is is a product of the remainder of your gear. buoyancy of the tanks wet suit etc. FYI rig yourself up for water entry in fresh water and get on the scale adn weigh your self. say that is 320# then you need 1# for every 40 to compensate for salt water as a start. the wet suit will throw that off some but to the worse and need more lead.

feel free to PM if you like or use open posting.

Regards

sidemount is a better solution than independent doubles if you can't rent regular manifolded doubles

Why can’t you just use a normal backplate and banded together doubles?

This is how I ran my indy twins.

DW

You know that eclecticist is another name for hodge-podgerist......right?
You're going to need a left-hand valve, right? I would just buy this and replace the cross piece with plugs in case you change your mind re independent doubles.

SEE-MODABD-200.jpg
Sea Elite Double Tank Dual Valve Manifold 200 BAR
Rating:
%
$109.95

or this, from DGX for $40.00
  • dx-722412-ln_1b.jpg

But I am also wondering if some of the "standard" backplates support 2 sets of cambands. Ex. The HOG plate has Inner and outer slots at the top and bottom camband positions. Is this for un-banded doubles and does it work well?

I have a DSS backplate that is similar and have used it with independent doubles, using one camband per cylinder. It works well. I have used it occasionally more as an experiment than anything. You do need a doubles wing that has slots in matching places. I would prefer two bands per cylinder but with the smaller cylinders that usually make sense for this setup (72/80/85/100) it probably isn't necessary.

Another alternative to consider is using stainless steel bands but not a manifold. This still allows you to use cylinders that aren't dedicated to twinset service (which is one of the main benefits of using independent doubles rather than a twinset), and will work with any doubles backplate and wing. Bands are available inexpensively.

Sidemount is an alternative but it does not work well in some shore diving scenarios where you have to be able to enter and exit the water without assistance, which is where independent doubles sometimes make sense.

You know that eclecticist is another name for hodge-podgerist......right?
Ha! Ha! You don't know the half of it! I'm an engineer with a serious MY-WAY complex.:D

To get some of the feedback & suggestions out of the way and more-fully explain my rationale ...

Current equipment:
- A set of LP-50 tiny-doubles (manifolded and banded) and a set of HP-100s (manifolded and banded).
- 4 HP100 singles and 4 HP120 singles with 3-more sets of L/R valves (and isolators) currently and another set of bands.
- OMS SS and DR Lite SS plates for the doubles now (and a LW SS Freedom Plate for singles.) I am familiar with the benefits of plate and plate-mounted weight for cold-water diving with my 7mm or DS (or AL tanks).
- OMS 60 and OxyCheq 57 Dual-Bladder doubles wings.

re: SideMount:
I'd like to try SM at some time for fun, but I don't have a use case where, as @2airishuman pointed out, SM is needed or more convenient than BM, frankly it would be a pain. Independent BM will be good prep should I try SM in the future.

My rationale for independent BM doubles:

- I am now ALWAYS diving with a personal redundant air supply (pony or doubles) - personal choice/quirk based on the fact that I realized I am almost always effectively solo. (A topic for another thread)

Local-Considerations:
- I am often up diving for 2-3 days at the quarry and I DO NOT want to get fills there (hence the fleet of tanks.)
- Keeping the tanks as singles gives me flexibility to dive independent-doubles or single-tank (with a slung pony) or to loan tanks to a buddy.
- Singles are much easier to carry, transport, store and VIP.

Travel-Considerations:
- I don't want the hassle/limitations/cost of sourcing and dealing with banded-doubles
- I am a bit of an air-hog and it may be easier to get 3-tanks for a 2-tank trip vs. larger tanks. Also that is 240 cu.ft. vs. 200 (if lucky) in most places across 2 dives.
- I don't have to transport or deal with renting/filling a pony.
- I'd prefer to just to add a couple of cam-bands to my plate rather than a bulky, heavy bolt-on contraption.
- One less 2nd stage to transport.

I have a DSS backplate that is similar and have used it with independent doubles, using one camband per cylinder. It works well. I have used it occasionally more as an experiment than anything. You do need a doubles wing that has slots in matching places. I would prefer two bands per cylinder but with the smaller cylinders that usually make sense for this setup (72/80/85/100) it probably isn't necessary.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

I can probably modify my wing wing to work. Worst case the newer Dive-Rite wings have almost universal cam-band clearance with their cruciform center-panel structure.

Ha! Ha! You don't know the half of it! I'm an engineer with a serious MY-WAY complex.:D

To get some of the feedback & suggestions out of the way and more-fully explain my rationale ...

Thanks for the explanation (and the sense of humor). I was becoming bewildered...

Back
Top Bottom