Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The difference in the new wings and old and the new plate and the old is. The new wings are designed to be used without a STA and to be used with the new plate which has slots for the tank bands to go through. I don't know if you can use the new wings with a STA on an old plate or not.

As for the webbing, most dive shops carry weight belt webbing on a large spool and you can buy it by the foot.
Also comes in cool colors if that's your bag.

ID

Thanks for all of the help. I was told about a b/p made by a man named Fred T.(I have his email address if anyone is interested). Does anybody have or seen any of his plates? They run about $74 for the stainless steel version and made to Halcyon's specks. The current model won't accept the new pioneer wings with the built in STA but he said he would supply me that info so I could mill the plate to fit. His new plates, when they come out will have this done already. This seems like a very good price if the quality is there.

bwollard,

Can't say anything about those plates as I don't have one, but as far as finish quality, I can add something.

When you ask about quality, there are a couple of things to keep in mind (assuming the plate is stainless).

Material: Will most likely be 1/8 thick 304 or 316 grade stainless. 316 is usually more expensive and generally considered to be more corrosion resistant. Remember, that is a comparison of the two grades under severe conditions....would you be able to rust a 304 grade plate of stainless with diving....doubtfull. In fact halcyon advertises their plates as 304 stainless.

Finish: There are several methods to polish the imperfections from the stainless (everything from mechanical to electropolishing). A smooth finish is more expensive, and usually has less imperfections there to act as an increased surface area. Imperfections would be the place rust would form first if it was going form. (But again, we are dealing with stainless and not normal steel)

Machining: A few things I can think of. You don't want any sharp edges. That includes the webbing slots, drill holes and edges, that could cut either the webbing, your other equipment, or yourself. Check to make sure the geometry of the slots and holes and plate itself are correct, and the bolt holes are the correct size.

As far as the $74.00 is concerned, just to give you an idea. I have built backplate and accessories (working with aluminum and stainless is a hobby for me)....just to give you an idea of the cost for me (canadian funds):

316 stainless plate - $35.00
Machine shop time to do proper full length bends - $25.00
Drilling and machining slots, equipment holes, tank mounting holes, smoothing final product - Done myself (takes time, stainless is slow to work with)

So $74.00 is understandable, since working with stainless is brutal on equipment and time compared to other metals.

I haven't priced backplates from diverite or halcyon recently, so I can't really compare the prices versus the finished product. Can you speak to others who have these plates and see what they think of them. Better yet, have a look at one with another experienced backplate diver.

Just my $0.02. In the end it will be your choice, but whatever you choose, make sure it is safe in every way possible.

I have one as do several other regulars on
http://www.diverlink.com/forum and /forum2

"mine" is aluminum and was purchased for my wife to use
when she decides to go with a backplate. it is nicely made
and i assume that the SS versions are as nice.

G_M

ps ... i use a SS "OMS" plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom