backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwollard

Registered
Reaction score
I have decided to go with a backplate and wing setup. My question is whether to go with a stainless steel plate or an aluminum plate. For local diving I use a full 6mil suit, gloves and hood with about 20 lbs of weight. In my tropical vacation mode with a lycra skin I need about 8 lbs of weight. I like stainless for the durability factor, but it is 6 lbs negatively buoyant and I am afraid of not having any ditchable weight in an emergency. On the other hand, I only get to go on vacation about every 3 years. Most of my diving will be local and shedding 6 lbs off of my weight belt does sound good. Buying two plates right now is out of the question. HELP

I'm going thru the same dilemma as you right now, except that I already bought the SS backplate. I just got back from the Caribbean using a 2mil shorty and my weight consisted of 6 lb keel weight + 2 lb in my weight belt. This backplate is an add'l 6lb, for a total of 14lb.

Although the keel weight is technically ditchable, for all reasonable purposes it is not (it would be too hard to get to quickly).

So that leaves 2lb to ditch. Not much leeway there. If you're only using 8 lb total, you've got a bigger problem than me! You will most certainly have to use the keel weight due to the characteristics of the wing flotation. That puts you at 12 lbs (6 keel + 6 backplate). You're overweighted!

I'd say you're an aluminum type of person at this point with some unwanted weight on your belt! You might consider the integrated weight system (such as Halcyon has)to make things more comfortable.

I thought that I looked at everything and now you throw out something new. What is a keel weight.

Sorry, should have explained that.

If you use an AL80 tank with a wing, when the tank gets empty it is positively buoyant by about 4 lb (I think). The keel weight (and there are various types) attaches to the tank to counteract the forces pushing you forward (ie the positive buoyancy of the AL80 + the natural tendency of the wing). It pulls you "backward".

I use the "ditchable" type because I can use the dive boat's weights. They also sell units that fit into the tank boot, band on the tank, and others. My problem with those is that you have to carry these weights in your dive bag-just extra stuff to haul around.

Whose plate/wing are you looking at purchasing?

I personally wouldn't have a backplate at all if it were my only BC. I've never found a backplate to be a satisfactory rig with a single AL80 for me. Have you tried one?
(If I were to have to choose a single BC for all my diving, it'd be a Transpac - but I'd still have to have two sets of wings... travel and standard)
Rick

Rick,

What do you do when you want to dive doubles? Or do you?

I am looking at the FredT plate. Halycon pioneer wing in either 27 lbs or 36 lbs of lift(haven't decided)with the built in STA and making my own harness. Which wing would you use in my case?

You probably only need the 27, but I'd go with the 36 for the 6 mil wetsuit diving. BTW, Halcyon makes the keel weight that I use, and an excellent integrated weight system.

An alternative to this set up would be an aluminum backplate with a weighted STA (6 lbs). Then you do not have to monkey around with a keel weight. I have my son and daughter using this type of set up with 27 lb wings and they have 4-8 lbs on a ditchable weight belt.

I have used and still have in the garage 2 transpacs. We/I prefer BP/Wing setup.

Brad

Atomox,

That's not a bad solution. Any idea what a standard STA weighs?

bwollard, if you go this way, you can't use the new Pioneer integrated STA. You'll have to use the "old" style like I own. Maybe you want to switch with me??

Back
Top Bottom