• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Backscatter at the Cayman Brac Surge--Info on Classes, Photography Help, and Demo Gear

Discussion in 'ScubaBoard Surge 2017 Cayman Brac' started by Backscatter::Jim, Dec 20, 2016.

1. divingjane1

divingjane1 Angel Fish

Hi Audrey, yes, that's me! I'll look forward to seeing you in Cayman Brac. Jane

ROXANNE and Audsred like this.
  2. cardzard

cardzard Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I assume Class 10 SD cards correct ?

3. snowdog61

snowdog61 Solo Diver

Wow - going to really miss diving with you guys.......

cardzard and ROXANNE like this.
  4. Dizzi Lizzi

Dizzi Lizzi Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hello Jim,
    I will be the one behind cardzard listening intently. I really want to get into underwater photography but have not tried very much as I'm new...task loading ya know :wink:. I have a go pro that I will be bringing, and a selfie type stick, as well as a hand grip (bobber type). Is there one I should bring over the other, or both. I will have only 2 million questions after cardzard :).

5. Backscatter::Jim

Backscatter::Jim Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Hi Audrey!

Not a problem. I'll be shooing the E-M1 Mark II on the trip so I should have a pretty good idea on settings during the trip.

Jim

Audsred and ROXANNE like this.
  6. Backscatter::Jim

Hi Dizzi Lizzi,

Well it's nice to know I'll have at least 2,000,001 questions at the event! :yeahbaby:

I advocate bringing all the photo gear you have. Cameras + water + diving + travel = something will go wrong eventually. Always good to have backups and you never know when on where you might get that super cool shot if you only brought that 1 piece of gear that you left at home.

The selfie sticks are good for selfies, but for holding out in front it can be a bit heavy on the end leading to unstable shots. A hand grip is much better. A double hand grip will lead to even more stable shots. And the most stable is a tripod. Camera stability and not making your friends sea sick when showing them your videos is the #1 challenge with shooting video.

Jim

ROXANNE likes this.
  7. Backscatter::Jim

Class 10 with U3 are the recommended ones. U1 will work but aren't nearly as fast and may not be able to keep up with some video specs like 4K on some cameras. To really be future proof get a UHS-II card. This card can be identified by the second row of pins on the card. This supports the fastest speeds, but only with UHS-II compatible cameras. We are now seeing UHS-II card slots in newer cameras like the Olympus E-M1 Mark II and Nikon D500. UHS-II is backwards compatible to the older UHS-I card slots.

Sorry for the long answer to a simple question! :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  8. Audsred

Audsred Photographer

Wonderful - that means I'll get see how the camera is supposed to work vs. How I will make it work

9. ScubaDerby

ScubaDerby Photographer

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'll be shooting with a Sony A6000 and Nauticam housing, macro and wide ports and lenses, two strobes, and video light. Mary Ellen will be shooting with a Sony RX100 II with Nauticam housing with single strobe.

We also have a GoPro on each rig each with BACKSCATTER FLIP lens on them.

Looking forward to meeting and learning from you Jim.

10. lwang06

lwang06 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99