Backscatter filters (or other brand) for "green water" in lakes and rivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering to start making some videos in lakes and rivers.
The environment is lake in the videos below (

Day
Night

Greenish murky water, low viz, low depth
I would like to get a filter to mount on the go pro. Since I found Backscatter filters excellent I would like to stick to those unless you recommend something different.
FLIP FILTERS GREENWATER Underwater Color Correction Magenta Filter for GoPro 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7
This one should be the right filter. Do you think it's worth it?
Thanks

Yes, the Backscatter greenwater filter for the GoPro is awesome!!!
FLEX GREENWATER Filter for GoPro Hero3+ and Hero4 Standard Housing

When I added it to my GoPro the difference was night and day. No more green gloom in my videos. Here's my examples:
Without filter:

With Greenwater filter:

I like the Backscatrer, but I'm not getting the results others are showing...

this is a grab off video, un-edited. Depth is around 110':

vlcsnap-2018-06-30-17h33m29s777.jpg

Do you use any lights with greenwater filters? Backscatter are very good also because they work very well together with lights, and this is not possible with crappy cheaper filters
Perhaps this might explain the difference between your video and the one posted by BikerBecca

I have lights (about 2,000 lm - 1k each side), but you won't light something at that distance without bringing the sun underwater with you....

I like the Backscatrer, but I'm not getting the results others are showing...

this is a grab off video, un-edited. Depth is around 110':

View attachment 498545
Is that with a pink filter on? I have never gone that deep in fresh water but I have found that my backscater filters are pretty useless in blue water below 60-70ft (not useless useless just not as effective as at 55ft).

Okay, a little lighting 101:
  • Bright is nice, but close is better. If you are 10 feet away from your subject, the light from your strobe or flash has traveled through 20 feet of water before it hits the lens. That is the same effect as available light at 20 feet of depth. No matter how bright your light is, the spectrum filtration for a given distance does not change.
  • Your filter removes color, it does not add color. That is why the deeper you go with your blue water filter shooting available light, the less color remains after the filter removes some of the blue. Expect the same thing to happen with a green water filter - noticeable improvement in shallower water; reduced effect as you go deeper.
  • Be aware of what you and your camera are doing with underwater auto settings and/or white balance that digitally manipulate the image. I would usually expect an UW setting (digital filter) to assume that there is not a physical filter in use.

Is that with a pink filter on? I have never gone that deep in fresh water but I have found that my backscater filters are pretty useless in blue water below 60-70ft (not useless useless just not as effective as at 55ft).

This is the Green Water Filter at 110' in Lake Ontario (freshwater).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom