BackScatter MiniStrobe batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the information @MrChen and @Backscatter::Jim

The ideal option is to buy two MF-2s but my current budget will not allow that, so I'll probably pass for now and just use my MF-1s for back up strobes and for snooting.

If I can find a buyer for the MF1s then perhaps I'll go for the MF2s.
I don't work for Backscatter, I'm only a customer. I'm assuming Jim works for them, so he knows better than me. I have never had an MF1, so I couldn't speak to the remote compatibility. But what Jim has idenfied is, that you can still do remote between the MF1 and MF2. What you don't get is the remote settings feature.

Let me explain how the remote settings work, and @Backscatter::Jim, please correct me if I say anything incorrectly. Lets say you have two strobes, StrobeA and StrobeB. StrobeA is mounted on your housing and connected using the optical cable. StrobeB is on the muck stick and is in the remote mode. If both strobres are MF2, I can change the strobe power on StrobeA, hold down the button, it will do this rapid flashing sequence which is telling StrobeB what power setting to use, and StrobeB will use that value.

If you have a MF1 and MF2, Jim is saying that remote power setting feature change is not supported. You can still adjust the power setting on the remote strobe using the power dial. To me, this wouldn't be a big deal. I don't often have to change the power level on my strobes when doing macro. I'm not saying that I never change them, but it's typically not more than one value and only a few times on a dive.

I wouldn't let the lack of that feature stop you from taking advantage of having a remote strobe, if that's the feature you're really interested in. Plus, you'd have one MF2 and when you can afford it, pair it up with second in the future.

The only thing that confuses me about what Jim suggested is, that when StrobeB is in REM (remote) mode, the manual states:
1693058227289.png

Jim, will StrobeB fire in manual mode with the light pipe?

I've decided to park my idea for a MF2 at the moment.

I was going to have it sent to my friends place in SF whom I'm meeting up with in two weeks in Bali.

The different battery type is a bit of a PITA too.

If I can find a local buyer for the MF1s then I'll replace them with MF2s.

I don't work for Backscatter, I'm only a customer. I'm assuming Jim works for them, so he knows better than me. I have never had an MF1, so I couldn't speak to the remote compatibility. But what Jim has idenfied is, that you can still do remote between the MF1 and MF2. What you don't get is the remote settings feature.

Let me explain how the remote settings work, and @Backscatter::Jim, please correct me if I say anything incorrectly. Lets say you have two strobes, StrobeA and StrobeB. StrobeA is mounted on your housing and connected using the optical cable. StrobeB is on the muck stick and is in the remote mode. If both strobres are MF2, I can change the strobe power on StrobeA, hold down the button, it will do this rapid flashing sequence which is telling StrobeB what power setting to use, and StrobeB will use that value.

If you have a MF1 and MF2, Jim is saying that remote power setting feature change is not supported. You can still adjust the power setting on the remote strobe using the power dial. To me, this wouldn't be a big deal. I don't often have to change the power level on my strobes when doing macro. I'm not saying that I never change them, but it's typically not more than one value and only a few times on a dive.

I wouldn't let the lack of that feature stop you from taking advantage of having a remote strobe, if that's the feature you're really interested in. Plus, you'd have one MF2 and when you can afford it, pair it up with second in the future.

The only thing that confuses me about what Jim suggested is, that when StrobeB is in REM (remote) mode, the manual states:
View attachment 799363

Jim, will StrobeB fire in manual mode with the light pipe?
You are correct, I am the CEO of Backscatter... 😃

You are also correct about the way the remote feature works with 2 MF-2 strobes.

You are correct that if strobe A is a MF-1 and strobe B is MF-2 with the light pipe, you can put both in manual mode and A will trigger B, the caveat being that you need to turn the red dial on B to change levels.

Regarding the manual snippet above, for MF-2 the red dial has no function in REM mode. It only receives power level change signals from the main strobe. You would only use this strobe in REM mode if it was remotely placed and you want to use the main strobe to control it wirelessly.

Hope this clears things up!

I'm curious to know if you can remote trigger an mf1 by simply plugging in the light pipe, or does this only work on the mf2? I have two mf1s that I am very happy with, and if they support remote shooting by connecting the light pipe that would be great.
Has anyone tried it?

I'm curious to know if you can remote trigger an mf1 by simply plugging in the light pipe, or does this only work on the mf2? I have two mf1s that I am very happy with, and if they support remote shooting by connecting the light pipe that would be great.
Has anyone tried it?
The answer to your question is yes, and no. The MF-1 will trigger using the light pipe from the ML-2. However, the ML-2 has threads that allow you to screw the light pipe cap on to keep it in place, the MF-1 does not have those threads so there is really no way to attach the light cap. I imagine you could secure it with tape, or rubber bands and it would work. It would be a cheap solution if you are just looking to remote trigger the MF-1, although without the adjustability benefits of the ML-2.

I'm reading this thread with interest. I have a MF-1 with snoot, and am hoping for an MF-2 for christmas. I plan to trigger it with the light from the MF-1, and put the snoot on the MF-2, while it is on the much-stick unipod.

The answer to your question is yes, and no. The MF-1 will trigger using the light pipe from the ML-2. However, the ML-2 has threads that allow you to screw the light pipe cap on to keep it in place, the MF-1 does not have those threads so there is really no way to attach the light cap. I imagine you could secure it with tape, or rubber bands and it would work. It would be a cheap solution if you are just looking to remote trigger the MF-1, although without the adjustability benefits of the ML-2.
Those are really good news. As soon as I can get wet I'll try it. Thank you very much.!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom