Backup computer died; what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It won't be very funny if the computer died in action ie. during the dive with no back up. And I have to stay above my buddy during the remaining of both dives. Yes, happened twice and I made sure it won't happen again so bought a cheap one as a back up.
I will stay away from RGBM.
Nothing wrong with a used one.

It's for any remaining dives for the day.

Especially for vacation divers, you've spent a lot of money to get to a dive site, the cost of a backup computer is basically insurance that you won't have to sit out or limit other dives that day (or even the next days if you are somewhere remote or on a liveaboard).
Tables are free.

Tables are free.
True, if you assign zero value to the flexibility and longer dive times allowed by the use of dive computer.

But bottom timers and depth guages aren't free. You'll spend almost as much for the cheapest options to track just time and depth as you would for a basic dive computer. Why go to the hassle?

Not a easy job to calculate the remaining ndl under water when the computer died.
Yes. You need the watch and depth gauge and must know what your max depth on the dive was.

I still have my original gauges and use them every few years. They are as accurate as my Luna computer.
PRINCETON-TECTONICS-Bottom-Timer.jpg

-vintage_scubapro_wrist_depth_gauge___250_feet___made_in_italy-1_43.jpg

True, if you assign zero value to the flexibility and longer dive times allowed by the use of dive computer.

But bottom timers and depth guages aren't free. You'll spend almost as much for the cheapest options to track just time and depth as you would for a basic dive computer. Why go to the hassle?
A depth gauge can be found anywhere in the world.
Not a easy job to calculate the remaining ndl under water when the computer died.

You should be aware of such things throughout the course of the dive.

Open water 101

I replaced the battery and got it to beep again, but the screen is blank. I reached out to Cressi but haven't gotten a response and think it's unlikely they'll help.

Change the battery again, it's cheap and quick. Try to get one that hasn't been sitting on store shelf for years.

Seems I'm not the only one who's had this problem:
Cressi Leonardo, no display after renewing battery

I'm pretty sure it's not the new battery. I don't have a proper way of testing it, but the tongue-and-wet-finger test says it has voltage, while the old one's definitely dead. Also, when I press and hold the button, it beeps like it's turning on, then after a few minutes, it beeps again like it's turning off. It's just that the screen is blank.

You should be aware of such things throughout the course of the dive.
Open water 101
I have a better solution: back up computer.
Much easier and quicker and I do not have to hold up my buddy and others while calculating the ndl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom