Backup computer for tec dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chun Zhou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As a tec diver, I am using Shearwater primary computer but want to find a proper backup one. I will do some deep dive like 100m - 150m. Please suggest and discuss with following aspects:

1. Economic solution, which means cheaper than another Shearewater
2. Back-light should be always on. Don't need to press any button. Raise your left hand and check.
3. Size. Suppose not a big one because it is just a backup.
4. Battery. I like the battery compatibility of shearwater a lot. In any case, you can open the cap and replace a full battery. But rechargeable solution is also accepted.
5. Depth. I am thinking of Deepblu as a good backup but unfortunately it only supports 100m.

If you are planning to do 150 meter dives don't worry about how much your computer will cost, it will be drowned by your helium and training bills. Or your rebreather + Training costs.

Training and gas cost is another story. I have to pay that. But for computer, just want to find possibility that are not two Shearwater.

Sorry, my main is a Petrel (or Predator if CCR) and backup a second Petrel. Reliable, consistent, easy battery change etc etc. I would only ever use Shearwater as they are so good.

So you would like to have something that has everything a Shearwater has, but not a Shearwater
May I ask why ?
I don't think a computer with similar specs would be much cheaper

So you would like to have something that has everything a Shearwater has, but not a Shearwater
May I ask why ?
I don't think a computer with similar specs would be much cheaper

An example is Deepblu. The cost is only $200 vs. SW $700. The rechargeable battery can be compromised. The only issue is the depth 100m limited, otherwise it is a perfect good backup. That is why I am thinking others.

BTW, if the primary broken underwater, I just need a timer and deep indicator and then follow my deco plan on board to complete that dive.

Why not pickup a second hand shearwater, like petrel or older? These are quite reasonably priced.. Seriously, compromise on costs at that level is quite.. Well, your call

I have a couple options for backups. I have an older Dive Rite Nitek3 and a Hollis DG02. Both purchased for under $100 and work fine for a backup. The DG02 is what I use mostly, but it's not full time backlit. But it's small and with a DSS bungee mount, it does not get in the way, and goes on my forearm right next to my shearwater.

Having said that... I don't do 100m dives. If I did, a second shearwater would probably be on my other arm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom