Backup computer for tec dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VR3, They come up for sale cheap. If you skip the deep stops they follow a 50/70 gradient factor within a minute or 2.

I am confused. What does it cost to get properly setup for 150M Tec dives? I thought it was quite expensive. I can't imagine going cheap on a backup computer makes any sense financially or safety wise. To me that's like wanting to buy the cheapest possible backup parachute.

If it is true, that you have between 100-199 dives, as of now, I think you will have some time to save the money for a solid back-up.

Hi everyone,
I am planning to go Florida for cave course learning. Now, I have completed Normoxic and Intro cave but I am still new for tec dive. I want to learn more course in Florida and then dive in China's cave.

The question for me is how to select instructor, dive shop, what is the accommodation in Florida and tips.

Thank you!
It is still a long way from Normoxic to 150M, plenty of time to save for a Shearwater :)

No real need for a backup computer. Tables, a simple bottom timer, and/or your buddy is more than enough.

You have 3 choices:

1) Another Shearwater
2) An OSTC (basically, another Shearwater)
3) A Scubapro/Uwatec Bottomtimer

Cost cutting on advanced level (well beyond training depths) trimix dives isn't a clever idea.

Considering dives of that magnitude, when still needing to ask relatively noobie questions, isn't a clever idea.

Sure, it pays to 'begin with the end in mind', but allowing for adequate experience progression... doing these dives is a long way off.. even if you dive frequently. Tech computers may well have advanced another generation or two by the time you reach that point.

One thing I note about the current state of the modern tech community is that people are rushing into very complex and unforgiving dives with only a tiny fraction of what'd been considered very minimal experience just a decade or so ago.

It's already resulted in some very avoidable and fruitless fatalities and will continue to do so; increasingly as the trend increases.

For what it's worth, here's my breakdown of the what's and why's of the Tech computer options available...

The Best Technical Diving Computers 2016

Last edited:
If it is true, that you have between 100-199 dives, as of now, I think you will have some time to save the money for a solid back-up.

Given that Shearwater comes out with a new model with improvements every so often, he can use his current Shearwater as a back up then and buy the latest and greatest Shearwater when he gets to that level.

I use my Mares Puck that I bought for $175 a few years ago. It doesn't have a constant on backlight, but it is solid and has gauge mode.

If that wasn't the requirement, I'd just by another Petrel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom