Backup light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You think these are better than the Light Monkey 3W's?

im fairly sure the halcyon scouts have a lot more light output. This is important in low vis or big cave, and also important for giving you the ability to be seen easily when your buddies are using HIDs or strong led primaries. A candle in a jar will probably be enough to get you out of a cave (hell you can do it with no light) but a proper backup really makes things easier and dials the stress back a notch.

To my eyes, the halcyon backups are just shy of a 10w HID in light output and beam quality. I once did an *extended* exit with a scout and I was glad I chose it as my backup light.

Heser makes arguably the best backup lights out there:

https://heser-backup.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=37&MODsid=acd0c524a19312bb09fa525563317d52

I have Halcyon Scouts and they are good backup lights, and not as expensive as the Heser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why no experience with this light, I can't say it is or it is not the best back up, but the spec is honest. A 4W LED in handheld configuration produces 240lumen is a very honest number, if anything it is a bit on the conservative side. I give a lot of respect for honest manufactures

I have:
- Agir Brokk. Works on 3 C cells, works fine, but the output is the worst. Another big disadvantage: it drains the batteries itself. So if I don't use the light for a month or so, I only have a little output left. For me not the best backuplight and I have it now just as spare.
- Hollis Led6. Works on 3 C cells too. Output really good. Burntime too. But: the first light did not wanted to turn on again under water after a 100m dive. On surface no problem. Replaced and then it was impossible to turn it on deeper than 75 m. Back to shop again, a backuplight must work when you need it. Their advice to turn it on before the dive is not a solution. Now I have one that seems to be ok.
-Tecline, works on 3 C cells too. I removed the reflector, so I use it as videolight now too. Tecline does not produce its own lights, it is a chinese light. But works fine. Reflector can be placed back when I want in just 1 minute
-Divenologics. Another Chinese Light from the Brinyte factory. Works on 3 C cells too. Best backuplight in my opinion.

For some lights there are adapters so you can use 18650 or AA batteries. I haven't tried that. With 18650 I know there is a big difference in good batteries and bad batteries.
I have for all lights recharable C-cells. The burntime is same as with other not recharable C-cells. I know a lot of people don't like rechargeable batteries, but I don't have bad experiences. Yes, in the past the rechargeable batteries are bad, but now they are improved. Of course you have to recharge them like you have to replace normal batteries sometimes. You don't want your lights are not working when you need them because you where to lazy to replace/charge. And a predivecheck of the lights is needed too of course.

The Tecline, Divenologics and the Hollis have enough output. Burntime around 8-10 hours on the rechargeable cells, so good enough. The Agir Brokk can be used, but in my eyes it has a too weak output and drains batteries itself. I don't like.

...I'm also far from being rich, I've had good luck with the DGX 600...

For a descent backup light at a reasonable price Dive Gear Express's DGX 600 is a great choice. I have three of them.

Relevant micro-threadjack... can someone please explain how one can establish that a given light is "underdriven"? A simpleton's definition would be thoroughly appreciated.

More importantly, what performance advantages am I getting when I buy a backup from Halcyon et al. over, say, a DRIS 1000?

Relevant micro-threadjack... can someone please explain how one can establish that a given light is "underdriven"? A simpleton's definition would be thoroughly appreciated.

More importantly, what performance advantages am I getting when I buy a backup from Halcyon et al. over, say, a DRIS 1000?

Idk how it relates to LEDs, but some manufacturers would take xenon bulb modules and put 4 c-cells behind them when they were designed for 3. The light would be bright and seem fancy, but the bulbs were apt to blow from the excess voltage driving them.

I'm a newbie cave diver so take this for what its worth. I had the 1k shorties for backup (uses 3 AA).

The brightness was not an issue but the burn time was. I think these are rated for only 1.5 hours. Thats good enough for a C1 dive but probably not for a C2 dive.

The other thing was during my class at one point I had to use the backup & run the reel at the same time. This activity highlighted the disadvantage of aluminum body lights. It was clumsy & unwieldy as the torch is heavy even in the water. I'm seeing the advantage of delrin now.

Another thing to consider is the number of threads on the light where it screws together. Backups tend to turn on when the water pressure squeezes the head to make contact on the terminals. I am thinking the more threads the better so you can turn it out sufficiently but not risk flooding the light.

A small inconvenience of short lights is its hard to reach it to do checks on the surface with your drysuit inflated during GUE EDGE. A longer light might be easier.

Lastly look at the depth rating too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom